Braille scalers out there?

Ron Bell

Let's hear it from some of the small scale modelers out there. The big stuff is nice, but the small ones just look so cool.

I'll start. Here's a Dragon Sherman I did a few years back.

DSCN1851.jpg

DSCN1852.jpg

DSCN1853.jpg

DSCN1854.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG.....Ron.......................You just opened the "Duke-inator" treasure trove.......Hopefully, he will only add ONE of his recent builds to this post! Of course, knowing the DUKE, he will add all 500 million pictures he has and after it takes 3 hours for them all to load I can read what everyone once has added. HaHa.....NIce looking Shermie!!

Let's hear it from some of the small scale modelers out there. The big stuff is nice, but the small ones just look so cool.

I'll start. Here's a Dragon Sherman I did a few years back.

DSCN1851.jpg

DSCN1852.jpg

DSCN1853.jpg

DSCN1854.jpg

Outstanding Sherman, Ron!

Yes, most of my builds used to be Braille scale, but my eyes were bothering me and the eye doctor said I didn't need reading glasses (yet), but it seemed like I had to keep my head tilted back and my arms outstretched in order to see.

I eventually convinced him to make me a set of glasses that would help me build, but I find doing 1/35 easier on my eyes.

I used to do articles on some Braille kits, like the old Esci Abrams: http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=149

And the old Airfix Sheridan (couldn't find the link offhand).

sheridanrg1.jpg

I am a dedicated "Braille Scale" modeler but my love is aircraft. I have however, (blush) built a couple of armor subjects. Here is my T-34/85 with bedspring armor.

T-34-04.jpg

Here is my Sherman M4A3 (105 mm)

Sherman_3a.jpg

Both are Dragon kits pretty much OOB.

Robin,

If that is the Airfix Sheridan, you get high marks as its a pretty old/primitive kit. Nice job.

To all the others, they are all nice. Good to see the "small stuff". Keep 'em comin'. We may rate our own topic on the directory some day.

Ron, yes, it is the Airfix kit. I've acquired a newer reissued one to rectify the errors I made in the one above. I built all the Dragon armor when they first came out in 2003-04. Their initial offerings were a mixed bag with a lot of hit and misses.

I've not started on the 2nd Airfix kit due to poor eyesight.

My hats off to all Braille scalers!!!! I have enough problems assembling 1/35 kits. Can't image doing it in 1/72 or 76. Great jobs!!!

Wow, someone actually posted this? Thanks man! I love looking at small scale armor! I think this Thread should be stickied, but I'm partial. Ron, maybe you should see avbout making this a sticvky, and maybe that will be the first step to our own directory.

Man, you guys are awesome! Just about all of those look better than mine! Wow! You guys ROCK! :smiley20:

I have some Bradleys under construction (they can be seen in my Thread under the "On the Bench" forum, along with some aircraft I'm working on.) Aside from that, I haven't finished a Braille Scale armor model in awhile. Maybe I'll wait to finish the Bradleys unless someone has something in particular they want to see. After all, I have 553 Braille Scale armor and vehicles finished so there's lots to choose from. Once the Boresight article gets printed, I'll post those pics of my entire collection.

ME ME ME

Here's the Emhar MkIV female:

dsc07098s.jpg

And here's the Revell (neé Matchbox) Krupp Protze:

dsc07102d.jpg

dsc07108.jpg

I"ve got a couple of others that I'll upload and post later.

Ron, I just use the $20 drugstore reading glasses. I have the strongest ones that they had. They work fine for me and my 52 year old eyes. I have regular perscription reading glasses for when I'm actually reading but the drugstore version are stronger.

Posted previously, but I don't do a lot of these. Big fun!

Airfix Shermans used in wargaming a long time ago, one modified with a 105mm gun:

Wargame_2.jpg

USAF Peacekeeper vehicle, a very basic resin kit purchased in northern Maine, ages ago, sitting next to a diecast pickup:

PK_7.jpg

• 1 month later...

I build in "braille scale" and I totally love it. When I get done having eye surgery and get things back in order, I'm going to get going on some 1/72 scale military kits. I have more WWIImilitary kits than modern, but I'm gonna have fun anyway. Then all I need is a good, working Digital camera to document what I've finished, be it Cat, Truck, Airplane, Armor, or ship.I do have plenty of plans for projects.

Dave

Just posting to keep this topic amongst the top ones to generate interest. Let's see some other's "stuff".

This is my Hasagawa Humber armored car. Added a basic interior and detailed the outside.

DSCN1898.jpg

DSCN1899.jpg

DSCN1903.jpg

DSCN1901.jpg

Guys,

I would love to add to this post with pictures. However, the ONLY 1/72 scale kit I own is the Nitto 1/76 Nutrocker that is still in a sealed box. I hope to pull it out someday and do something cool with it!

Mark, that would be awesome. Maybe we can start a Small Scale Group Build to give you incentive. I'd love to see that finished. Do you have a pic of the boxart?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some of my builds. Among them is a Japanese Type 90 in a winter scheme, a US CCKW 63 fuel truck, an M113A1 in Bundeswehr ambulance markings during a REFORGER (I hated the decals but was stuck with them), a Jadgpanzer IV in my first attempt at a German winter scheme (the decals didn't like my technique), a M3 Stuart "Satan" flame tank and an M998 HMMWV that represented the one I had as a battalion maintenance officer for 3-32 Armor shortly after the end of Desert Storm.

The Type 90 was a Fujimi kit (I think). The fuel truck is Hasegawa as is the Jagdpanzer. The M113A1 is an old Esci/AMT/Ertl kit and the decals were the worst. The M3 is the old Matchbox kit that was converted into the "Satan" flame tank. The HMMWV is the Revell kit.

5727668932_e3231ce430_b.jpg

5727668856_6afd737067_z.jpg

5727114869_860d0e1bbe_b.jpg

5727668604_0947076871_z.jpg

5727668250_d20eac27a8_b.jpg

5727114825_d0da679865_b.jpg

Love the Jagdpanzer. Need to break out my 1/35 Dragon kit and do the Syrian version! Simple easy OOTB build!

You say you were stuck with the M-113 decals. Were they bad or did you just not like the marking? I think they look great. A colorful, unique scheme.

You say you were stuck with the M-113 decals. Were they bad or did you just not like the marking? I think they look great. A colorful, unique scheme.

They were badly out of register. Plus Esci decals were never the best when new and these were around 20 yrs old.

• 5 weeks later...

I'll play along. Here are most of mine. "Q" :smiley20:

100_2240.jpg

100_2548.jpg

101_1650.jpg

101_1649.jpg

_MG_3351.jpg

_MG_3352.jpg

_MG_3353.jpg

_MG_3354.jpg

_MG_3355.jpg

_MG_3356.jpg

_MG_3357.jpg

_MG_3359.jpg

Edited by mquiroz

I have done a few and have several others in the stash.

Academy Dodge Ambulance and Tow Tractor

P1010471.JPG

Academy HEMTT

P2077422.JPG

And their crappy Jeep

P1300002.JPG

Nice looking!!!!

Thanks Mark. Much appreciated. "Q" :smiley20: