Tamiya vs Dragon???

Mark Aldrich

If you have built or were going to build a Panzer IV H or J whose would you build. I plan on building a Syrian Panzer IV H or J and would like input on what fellow modelers feel is the better kit.

Mark

Mark,

Depending on things like upgrade sets, tracks, etc., the kits can run about the same. I have both the Tamiya H and J, and the Dragon H late smart kit. I do think the Dragon detail is finer, and should not be a prickly build as some of their earlier Mark 4s. I would not turn my nose up at the Tamiya kits, but you'll likely want to replace the tracks. The Dragon Smart kit has the Magic Tracks, so you shouldn't need to replace them.

Good luck, can't wait to see the build!

The Tamiya one builds up very nice and knowing your work my friend, it'll kick "you know what".

Thanks guys........

Part of this is because I am thinning the herd. I have several of each kit (to include the Italeri version) and I am trying to get a feel of which ones to keep. The last Panzers I built were the Italeri (when I was like 14) and recently the Trumpeter Bridgelayer (not at all impressed with the bogie unit attachments. It seems that most builders seem more impressed with the Dragon's level of detail while others like the Tamiya simplified build (except track).

I think the Dragon kit will give you a much finer model with which to work with. Tamiya's is nice but simpler. Also newer Dragon kits are better than older.

Even thou Dragon kits now a days are a bit better, I still love the Tamiya kits. With a little extras like PE and aftermarker tracks and barrels they build into fine models. You know that with Tamiya you are getting a good kit with simple fit and parts count. Now this being said Dragon does put all of this in one box. So it really is a toss up. I would say build the kit that you have now in your stash. Weather it be a Tamiya or a Dragon kit. Good luck and looking forward to seeing it complete. FYI - one of my next builds it the old Tamiya Mark IV ausf. D with aftermarket stuff. Will be modeling it as a DAK tank.

Chris

Shoot,

Even on ebay that would probably be more expensive that the latest Dragon kit!

Ah, go for it! I did. It may not be as good as later releases, but it's probably more fun to build.

DSCN1755-1.jpg

I build one many moons ago. It was after I built their Brummbar. Saved the allowance and picked it up. I think Dad even bought me the Jagdpanzer as a bonus. Very nice build!!!

What I'm going to say isn't much different from all the other responses you have received both here and on ML.

I too have built several Pz III and Pz IV kits over the last year, both Tamiya & Dragon.

While Dragon kits have more parts, IMHO the completed models don't look dramatically different. Both look pretty good! The tracks? Tamiya's are OK, but Dragon's Magic Tracks have better detail.

Tamiya has MUCH better instructions which help in the assembly. Dragon's instructions are still totally lacking as they leave out major & minor parts and as the builder, you are left wondering "Where do all these parts go?" If you are diligent enough, you can figure most of it out, but you shouldn't have to! WHen you are finished, Dragon provides more pieces for the spare parts bin than Tamiya--not sure if this is good or bad--maybe some of them should have been used.

I agree with Chris. Build what you have. eBay the rest. Dragon will always be producing new kits, even if Tamiya doesn't.