Masking tape with acrylics

flyerw

I've been using the famous "blue" masking tape for a while with mixed results. I'd like to find what experience others have had with the several types out there and where they're found. Auto supply stores, AC Moore, local hobby shop.

Thanks in advance.

Walter Creedon

My blue painter's tape is "Scotch Blue Painter's Tape". I've never experienced any "pull-up" with it over any kind of paint that I use. That would include the Gunze acrylic, Tamiya acrylic, Model Master Acryl and Enamel, and Polly Scale acrylic. I've also used it over Alclad with no difficulty.

Hands down, the best masking tape out there for modeling is Tamiya tape. It's more expensive than the blue painter's tape, but it's thinner, so it tends to leave less build up of paint on the masked edge; it's more flexible, so it follows curves better; it's slightly transparent, so it's very useful for masking transparencies (the current Eduard masks are made from the same type tape); and it's very low tack, do it doesn't damage paint finishes (or at least I've never harmed a paint finish with it).

It comes in three widths, each with a reusable dispenser; and as re-fills. Many hobby shops stock it, as do most all of the Internet vendors.

Mike

Ditto MikeMoore here - I shoot acrylics (Tamiya, Polly Scale and ModelMaster Acryl) exclusively and only use Tamiya Masking Tape. Great product. I've never experienced an issue using it for masking and airbrushing.

Jim

I have used both, blue painters tape and the Tamiya tape. I highly recommend using the Tamiya tape. I still use the blue painters tape, but mostly to hold thing together when gluing now.

Chris