Peterbilt 359 "psychodelic Relic" Wrecker

ewahl

On the old discussion forum that vanished earlier this year, I posted some pictures of the chassis and cab interior for the original AMT Peterbilt Wrecker kit. I started the kit in 1978 and finished it today--30 years in the building! I built the kit OOB, with the only non-kit items being the cables on the two winches and some of the decal markings. I decided to create a "show truck" with highly polished metallic blue paint and lots of chrome.

The color stripes are decals for Iberia Airlines Boeing 727 and 747 fuselage markings. The "Carlisa" markings on the hood and main body are created from Word Art on my computer and inkjet printed onto clear decal film stock; and the name is a combination of my two daughters, Carla and Alisa. The "Psychodelic Relic" decals are from a 1970's vintage AMT stock car kit, and just happened to be in colors that matched the colored stripes. The remaining decals are from the kit's decal sheet. Notice the diffraction strip just under the cab door windows.

This old kit was very well engineered for fit and details, but I spent many, many hours fixing the chrome plated parts because of mold lines and ejector pin depressions. The mirror assemblies were a challenge to mount with five parts on each door.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. I hope you like the end result.

Ed

Wrecker11.jpg

Wrecker12.jpg

Wrecker13.jpg

Wrecker14.jpg

Wrecker15.jpg

Wrecker16.jpg

Nice job. Like it! Like it! Like it! The chrome looks a bit bright in the pics. Mostly the rear wheels. 30 year old chrome or chrome-tech refinished? Could be the camera flash making it look brighter than actual. still...Well done.

Thank you for the nice comments. I took the model outside and used the natural light on a cloudy day for some photos. These look a little better than the flash pictures inside. Yes, the chrome is bright, but this was supposed to be a show truck with lots of garish chrome. Ed

Wrecker18.jpg

Wrecker21.jpg

Wrecker24.jpg

NICE!!! The metallic finish is flawless, and so much detailing!! Super-cool ED!!! :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20: