Retired Judge

JTRACING

Fantastic weathering! It does truly break my heart to see a symbol of my youth deteriorate as you have so aptly demonstated! The '69 GTO Judge was a favorite of mine from the wonderful days of the Muscle Car era I spent part of my high school years in. Great Job!

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

IPMS#14333

Brilliant! This model looks so realistic. I have seen many model junkers at shows that have been overdone. The subtlety of the weathering is a real credit to you. Would you like to share the technique James?

Edited by noelsmith

Rust was a free option thrown in by GM. My 1968 GTO convertible was always kept washed and polished and parked in sheltered garage space. Rust holes started appearing from the inside of the rocker panels above the bright trim strip behind both front wheels within a year. My car was Solar Red. I finally had to patch the holes with Bondo (or some such) and masked and painted the entire area below the lower body belt seam from front fender opening across the door to the rear fender opening flat black. I used black pinstriping tape to make the black paint look like part of a two-tone paint scheme.

I sold the car when my oldest stepson turned 16 in 1976. He got even with me by destroying my 1974 Grand Am the next year. The last I heard of the GTO was that the latest owner was blasting down a country road over 100 mph when he dropped a u-joint on the driveshaft. Fortunately it was the back one.

Ed

• 1 month later...

One subtle weathering challenge was to make the steel body panels look thoroughly rusted--surface rust through the paint. The front bumper, however, was not painted sheet metal or rusted chrome. It was a tough, flexible plastic called Endura. Paint peeled off Endura in strips and patches, exposing the black plastic surface beneath. Repainted Endura bumpers, as in a body shop repair-and-replace after a crash, were notorious for peeling. Damaged paint on an Endura bumper can't look like rusty sheet metal. This model captures that look. Great job.

Ed