Has anyone here tried using Sculpey to sculpt figures?

Rusty White

Before starting my Civil War Figure modification project, I have done some suggested reading (thanks for the tips guys). One guy uses Magic Sculpt with great success and of coarse, swears by it. I must admit, it really appears to work well as does Alves putty. Both give excellent detailing and smooth nicely with a brush.

Tonight I ran across a fella who uses Sculpey to sculpt his figures on an armature. It seems to work well, but I wasn't considering using it because it has to be baked in the oven at 175 degrees to cure. I am going to be MODIFYING an existing figure I cast from resin. As we all are aware, resin and plastic don't react well to temperatures in the 175 degree range. Now the unusual part. This guy uses a 60 watt bulb to cure the Sculpey. Obviously this method isn't going to generate much heat, but he says it works for him. He also doesn't mention how long the curing process takes.

I am trying this on a leg I am modifying from a shoe to a boot with added baggy pants. I've had it under the 60 watt bulb for about 24 hours and it seems to be slowly setting. The resin leg isn't bending, so so far it seems to be working. I'll know if it finally sets. Has anyone else tried Sculpey on a figure? One advantage is I can buy Sculpey in small amounts (small square for about $1.80) at Hobby Lobby right up the street. Another advantage to this stuff is it's water soluble and it softens using Sculpey softener, which makes it pretty easy to work with and it won't harden until it's exposed to heat.

I'm new to sculpting figures and I was hoping you guys could provide a few answers.

I dated a woman from Knoxville TN who made some of the most incredible figures I ever saw using Super Sculpey. Most were about 1/6 to 1/12 scale but Sculpey is a good modelers tool if into figures.

• 5 months later...

Green Stuff!! or Kneadatite by another brand, it is a 2-part epoxy, blue and yellow, when mixed it's green. Just keep your tools wet.

http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/sculpting.htm This article pertains to wargaming miniatures, but it's the same concept.

I dated a woman from Knoxville TN who made some of the most incredible figures I ever saw using Super Sculpey. Most were about 1/6 to 1/12 scale but Sculpey is a good modelers tool if into figures.