Detailing cockpit dials

ghodges

I've started building a Hobby Craft 1/48 P-26 Peashooter. I noticed it had some dial detail in the instrument panel depressions, but they were set down into the holes. I knew dry-brushing wouldn't work well, and then remembered I had a white China marker (grease pencil).

100_3334.jpg

I carved the tip to a point and that allowed me to reach into the dials and bring out the raised instrument details. Note: it WILL also get onto the insides of the hole around the edges, but that is easily touched up with a little black paint. A few drops of Future in the dials completes the job. I'm guessing this technique would work even better on a kit from Monogram, which usually has much better engraved detailing. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Prismacolor has a white artist's pencil that has worked great for me for many years. I've used it on aircraft instrument faces, white separation lines and hints of lettering on bigger panels, and on automotive dashboard faces. I paint the background flat black first. I sharpen the pencil in a pencil sharpener and touch up the point with sandpaper, file, or blade as needed. The sharp point only needs to touch the raised details and not rub off on the edge of the instrument. Needle indicators and other colored markings on the instruments can be added with the appropriate colored pencil. Top it all off with Future for the glass lens.

Ed