AMT Enterprise B Reissue

Mike Delano

My kid brother somehow got his hands on a reissue AMT Enterprise B today and brought it to me - I thought they weren't even available in retail yet.

R2 looks to have put a fair amount of effort into correcting some of the glaring problems with the original - namely the ventral saucer and the secondary hull. The only problem I found was that one of the nacelle pylons was not fully formed out of the mold, so I'll probably have to contact R2 to get a replacement part. Also, I wish they had been able to recess the panel lines on the secondary hull and under sides of the nacelles anf thin out the panel lines on the upper and lower saucer. But, it's better than nothing - this will be another great boon for the kitbashers out there.

The highlight of this kit, however are the decals - good quality and markings for both the Enterprise B And the U.S.S. Lakota which appeared in a Deep Space Nine episode.

ENTB_DECALS.jpg

Oh, dear. This reissue must mean that my 1995 original issue should not be built because it would appear inaccurate when placed next to the 2011 version. The decal sheet is not nearly as comprehensive with only the markings for the Enterprise B. I take it many of the new decals are for the windows on the hull either lighted or dark, making it unnecessary to paint on those tiny details.

Thank goodness the new decals did not include the full surface panel marking variations. Do the new painting instructions give us the patterns?

I saw the reissued USS Reliant kit today at the LHS. I balked at the close to $50 retail. My original kit will have to suffice.

Ed