1/48 Tamiya P-47D Thunderbolt help

Phelps

It's been a while since I worked on a 1/48 aircraft. Been working the last few years on 1/24 NASCAR kits. Thought I would try a Tamiya thunderbolt kit. I'm working on a 1/48 Tamiya P-47D "Bubbletop" Thunderbolt kit and trying to use the kit decals. Had no problems with the natural metal finish. I'm haveing problems with the kit checker decals for the cowl. I'm on my second decal sheet. Is there a way to get the kit decals to work? Is there an order in the way to put the checker decals on the cowl? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Phelps

While you don't specify the precise problem you're having with those checker nose decals, the tough compound curves of the nose are usually what cause the problems. Most kit decals are either too thick, or poorly engineered (or both) to lay down easily.

Without knowing exactly what problem your having, my best advice is that you'll need to make some slices in the leading edges of the decals where they wrap around the nose. Be sure to use a NEW knife blade so that the cuts are clean and the decal doesn't tear. Make them anywhere you see evidence of a wrinkle or overlap due to the decal not wanting to conform to the curve of the nose.

Also, a good decal solvent (Micro Sol, Solvaset) will go a long way to helping you out. When you get the decals close to conforming, apply some solvent and leave it alone for a day. Do not touch them after applying the solvent! They may wrinkle even worse at first, but this is normal. They should flatten out and conform as they dry. If you still have a few wrinkles or bubbles the next day, slice and pop them with the tip of a new blade and apply more solvent. The combination of cutting the decals in places to help them bend and the application of solvent should solve most of your problems. If all else fails, a little touch-up paint should complete and repair the problems you have. Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

• 4 weeks later...

If all else fails, you can use the tedious and gut wrenching process of spraying the cowling white and masking it off individually, with masking tape strips cut to fit each diagonal area, and spraying the remainder in black. I always thought the 78th Fighter Group's P-47s looked great with that unit marking. I did this with a Monogram P-47D back in 1987 and after 10 hours of work, it came out just fine. Decals are tricky, but that would be my first choice, second choice masking and painting. Happy modeling,

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333