1/72 Buff-a-saurus W.i.p.

VonL

Well, you guys asked for it, so here's a few snaps of my progress on this creature, as annotated.

1. Forward fuselage:

BUFF72_a.jpg

BUFF72_b.jpg

2. Wings bent to simulate flight, as this will be a ceiling-hanger:

BUFF72_e.jpg

BUFF72_f.jpg

3. The infamous, badly-fitting engine pylons:

I discovered something important here. A) Each engine pylon has small, side fairings intended to match up with the leading edge wingsweep for its individual pylon placement. B) The instructions direct you to put them in the wrong slots! Note the "actual" sequence, as scribbled on the instruction sheet, below. Putting the pylons into the correct wing slots doesn't make the fit really great, but it's a lot better than it would be if you followed the destructions.

BUFF72_c.jpg

BUFF72_d.jpg

Sorry for the crappy, fuzzy pix. Will post more as interesting benchmarks are achieved...don't hold your breath...

CHEERS!

Von_L

Looks great! I have this beast hanging on my ceiling. Or rather, did, until the hook pulled out and sent it crashing down. Only broke one landing gear and the rear cannon. I didn't look at the instruction when I installed the engine pylons but still got them in the correct place. Yours will be looking good. I'm looking forward to more pics.

Thanx for the good words, guys!

As Maddog noted, the kit's wing is amazingly strong, like the real jet. I left those wings under *two* of those big books, flexed at a wild angle, for about two weeks and got just the subtle, residual wingtip flex that you see. I wanted more, but there is a threshold point where plastics transition from minor 'creep stress' to 'permanent bending'. I don't know where that point is with these parts and don't want to find out. So subtle is good.

CHEERS!

Von_L

I am in the process of painting the Monogram version of this beast. I had to hang it from the ceiling to paint it. A friend of mine gave me the kit short one bomb door nad the rear glazing because his son got it for Christmas but was overwhelmed by the size. I intend to give it back when its done mainly because I have no room for it! You`ve gone a lot farther with yours than I did. Nice work so far.

• 2 months later...

More progress on Italeri's B-52G ALCM truck!

Loaded pylons are done:

BUFF72_h.jpg

A brutal bit of work fixing the shape of the aft fuselage (I don't remember Monogram getting this wrong). What you see here is a kluge of sheet plastic, Squadron Green Putty and Mr. Surfacer, after the Euro-I gray primer coat revealed the need for more work - !#$%*! . Next time, I'll pack the whole thing with layers of sheet styrene and carve to shape. Note also the crude .50 cal guns. I would replace these with resin aftermarket, leaving a bit of the existing shape as a 'shroud', but this model is gonna be a ceiling-hanger, so a swatch of gun-metal paint and good intentions will suffice.

BUFF72_j2.jpg

And the current family portrait for "umpteen gazillion parts flying in close formation":

BUFF72_g.jpg

That's looking very nice! I always think of the B-52 as being an OOOOLLLLDD plane, and forget how it's been modernized and updated and is still one of our most formidable weapons. Your ALCM's snapped me back to reality!

I would guess that your rear fuselage problem might actually be sink marks that are more prevelant in older molds and in areas of thick plastic. Perhaps they were'nt there on your earlier builds! I look forward to seeing the BUFF in flight below your ceiling!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanx for the encouragement! The divots in the aft fuselage appear to be a design error in the Italeri (ERTL) kit's fuselage cross section. On the real jet, it does not 'step in' as it does on the kit, but the cross section is a continuously shrinking oval in this area, which produces a gently curving side, as viewed from above/below. Check out these pix on Airliners.net:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/B...next_id=1443585

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/B...next_id=1400801

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/B...next_id=1399299

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/B...next_id=1378135

It can be kinda tough to see sometimes, but the surface of the fuselage is generally flush with the inboard surface of the horizontal stab. The kit's error irritates this old BUFF dude enough to wanna fix it. Gotta love Airliners.net - !!!

Nice work - can't wait to see this finished.

Your tips and corrections are great!

Happy Holidays!

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Main coat of paint applied; SAC Euro-I three-color, c.1991. The Italeri instructions don't show the ventral, Gunship Gray swatches. Trust me, it's there. Couldn't find my references for that pattern, so I eyeballed it from AIRLINERS.net, other online pix and memory. It's on the non-faded undersides of the jet, so it's a more subtle contrast with the likewise non-faded areas of Euro-I Gray down there. Lighter shades of OD and Gunship were applied topside, to achieve the faded/panels effect. Walkways were 'reverse masked' using a lightened Gunship Gray, rather than the too-wide decals.

Long way to go here...

BUFF72_l.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx again for the encouragement, guys!

Some progress...

BUFF72_n.jpg

Petty infighting and BS at work this week, so I'm hoping for the full, therapeutic value of a little bench-time later.

Looking excellent Von! I don't remember having that much issue with the wings when I built mine. This should really look great though when you're done 'brutalizing' it!

Cool idea the way you added the dialectic panels on the tail too. Way to go.

• 1 month later...

RETURN OF THE REVENGE OF THE SON OF THE BUFF...!

Blending the wings. The bottoms looked even worse:

BUFF72_n2.jpg

Some progress here. Kit decals silvered badly, party my own fault for not glossing the top of the crew section. Had to rip up the red air-refueling aperture markings and re-do with Woodland Scenics rub-on red lines from the model railroad world. FWIW, I also used their rub-on letters to reverse-mask the 'USAF' on top of the starboard wing. Remind me to show that to you guys. I'm kinda proud of it.

BUFF72_o.jpg

MORE REVENGE OF THE SON OF A BUFF...etc...

Filling the gaps around the engine pylons was gonna turn ugly, now matter how I did it. So I started by filling them with sprue, lightly wetted with glue...it seemed like a good idea at the time...

BUFF72_s2.jpg

Then the trusty Squadron Green Stuff, and a very careful sanding session:

BUFF72_s4.jpg

And now to address the paint question. Of course the airbrush decided to splatter the hand-mixed faded-green-drab into unwanted regions - !#$%! - If you can't see it, forget I said anything.

BUFF72_s5.jpg

Smooth sailin' from here on out - NOT! The under-wing pylons for the ALCMs and fuel tanks do not fit. Not even close.

Brutality-II:

BUFF72_t.jpg

Thanx fellaz - the encouragement is truly appreciated. Not too many 'easy days' on this one.

Biggest LL so far is to stay with the single, main paint color until the wings, nacelles and such are joined, and then do that camo & weathering. (It was just so much fun, I couldn't stop.) All this re-do patching & blending action is the payback for that. Would like to try another BUFF in this same camo scheme and yet another in the 4-color SIOP scheme...but not for a while. My masochism has limits.

Made some progress in honor of National Model Day. Additional motive is to compete this thing in the HobbytownUSA national on 18 April and then present it to the guy for whom I built it.

Underwing pylons are ON - HUZZAH! It is not a coincidence that the 5-minute epoxy is standing nearby:

BUFF72_u.jpg

BUFF72_v.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Filling the resulting gaps in the pylon mounts with epoxy, sheet plastic, putty, zap-glue and profanity...

BUFF72_w.jpg

The reverse-masked 'USAF' wing marking; done with Wilderness Scenics lettering:

BUFF72_x.jpg

Not all of the exhaust makes it past the trailing edge:

BUFF72_y.jpg