DISNEY NAUTILUS

noelsmith

It seems strange that no one has brought out a good injection moulded kit of the Disney Nautilus.

Many years ago in the 80's ( I think) I attended a trade show in London, and there on the Airfix stand was what looked like a test shot of the Disney Nautilus.

It never got released, and since then only some resin and vac forms have appeared Very expensive!

I have a friend who does lots of Sci-fi masters. According to him, Disney is very protective of their copyright. They want a ton of money for any of their products. The Nautilus is right at the top of their list. I believe I'm correct with this info...unless someone else knows more.

Mark

The only Disney models (traditional assembled kits) I can remember were the MPC Pirates of the Caribbean ones from the 70s, the MPC The Black Hole kits and those old Glencoe reissues of the World of Tomorrow TV series.

The only mainstream model I recall of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Nautilus was the version from the Crayola Kids Adventures: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea made by Revell-Monogram. My kids liked watching that TV show and I remember building the kit for them, it was pretty good even though it was a snap-tite model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nautilus-Submarine-1-100-Revell-monogram-/150531908499?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item230c66a393

Picking up on the last thread, I think that I can remember that the Revell version of the Nautilus released a few years back looks nothing like the Disney version.

Also, regarding Mark's thread before, you are probably right about Disney with their copyright issues. It would probably be too expensive for a mainstream manufacturer to get the rights to manufacture this particular model as a kit.

I don't know what happened with Airfix as it looked as though they were all tooled up to do this model as a kit. Perhaps they could not afford the rights to manufacture it after all the effort. Maybe what I thought of as a test shot built up at that London trade show back in the 80's may have been a scratchbuilt master to feel out the market.

Anyway, it was never released or seen as an Airfix kit. I have heard rumours that Comet Miniatures vac form kit is based on the Airfix model, but would very much doubt this theory. My guess is that it was manufactured from a newly made master that was designed from scratch by some cottage industry outfit. I could not see Airfix letting a master model of theirs out to be copied in any way shape or form, particularly this one with all the Disney copyright issues.

Maybe if enough modellers keep lobbying Disney directly they may commission some a mainstream manufacturer to make a kit that could be marketed under their own brand name. Whether they have ever considered this I do not know. I looked on their website some time ago, and you could buy an exquisite large scale ready built model from them aimed at well heeled collectors I would imagine, but no sign of a kit at the time.

Picking up on the last thread, I think that I can remember that the Revell version of the Nautilus released a few years back looks nothing like the Disney version.

You are quite right about that, but it looks just like the one from that kids' TV show. They basically do a half hour show (or was it an hour?), with 12-13 yr old actors, and they recreate various epics in a manageable show aimed at 5 yr olds.

I saw the "Disney" one by Comet Miniatures on eBay a few days ago. That will always be the classic Nautilus.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you Robin. The Disney version for me is also the DEFINITIVE version.

There is a story that before the film got into production a prototype of this version was left on Walt's desk along with some other proposed models.

It disappeared from the line up, and the modeller thought that it had not been considered as a consequence.

It turned up a day or so later with Walt being really enthused by its Victorian ship built appearance.

Whether this is true or not I do not know. I must have read it somewhere.

There were also a few Haunted Mansion™ models from 1974.

http://www.hauntedma...mpc-model-kits/

I wonder how much interested there would be for model of a vehicle from a 1954 movie and a Walt Disney World attraction that has been closed since 1994. From Disney's perspective, there is not a lot of promotional value in the licencing of a model.

John

Speaking of Disney and copyrights......Would love to see a re-release of the old....Pirates Of The Caribbean kits!!!!! Now that woudl be great!

I had quite a few of those, the rubberband powered action. I had mainly the skeleton ones, but I do remember having a peg legged pirate with his peg up on a treasure chest called Jolly Roger.

• 2 weeks later...

One of John Heck's posts brought back some happy memories of flying out to Florida in the 80's and doing the Disney thing like many parents from the UK with their kids.

I remember going on the old Nautilus ride, so I was sad to hear that it had shut down. Since then I have visited Eurodisney in the early 90's with my (then much older) kids.

As the Nautilus was from a Jules Verne story it was appropriate that there was a large almost full size mock up of the Nautilus to go inside.

I will be going there again this summer with my Grand Children so hopefully it will still be there to see.

John, I guess you are right about not enough interest in a 1954 film to make a kit viable.

Now if Disney remade it with CGI that would be another story....Maybe even in 3D!!

One of John Heck's posts brought back some happy memories of flying out to Florida in the 80's and doing the Disney thing like many parents from the UK with their kids.

I remember going on the old Nautilus ride, so I was sad to hear that it had shut down. Since then I have visited Eurodisney in the early 90's with my (then much older) kids.

As the Nautilus was from a Jules Verne story it was appropriate that there was a large almost full size mock up of the Nautilus to go inside.

I will be going there again this summer with my Grand Children so hopefully it will still be there to see.

John, I guess you are right about not enough interest in a 1954 film to make a kit viable.

Now if Disney remade it with CGI that would be another story....Maybe even in 3D!!

The EuroDisney thing is a poor comparison to the WDW subs but at least it's something. Stay tuned for a new totally CGI 20,000 Leagues staring Eddie Murphy as Nemo and Shia LaBeouf and the giant squid. Hey, it's Disney - it could happen.

The subs live again at Disneyland but they are not as green or pointy. No chance at WDW as the area is being converted to a new, expanded Fantasyland. Not to mention the subs were not preserved as with the Disneyland attraction. Click here to see their final fate. Warning: if you are squeamish about what happens to Disney attractions after they die or thought the subs were real you should not click on this link.

It seems strange that no one has brought out a good injection moulded kit of the Disney Nautilus.

Many years ago in the 80's ( I think) I attended a trade show in London, and there on the Airfix stand was what looked like a test shot of the Disney Nautilus.

It never got released, and since then only some resin and vac forms have appeared Very expensive!

Copyright issues aside, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea hit theaters 40 years or so ago. So the desire from younger modelers to purchase a kit of the Nautilus (at least $40.00 due to heavy licensing fees from Disney) would be limited at best. So getting stockholder in the model company a fair return on their dollars for the expense of releasing the model is the real issue. While a few hundred thousand adult modelers with enough money to buy the kit are out there, that's far short of the numbers needed to guarantee stockholders a profit on their investment. Now if Disney would do a remake (it would be cool with the CGI today), then sales wouldn't be problem and a release would almost be guaranteed.

Just my opinion.

• 2 months later...

I agree with what you say Rusty!..............Ah well! We can live in hope!

Copyright issues aside, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea hit theaters 40 years or so ago. So the desire from younger modelers to purchase a kit of the Nautilus (at least $40.00 due to heavy licensing fees from Disney) would be limited at best. So getting stockholder in the model company a fair return on their dollars for the expense of releasing the model is the real issue. While a few hundred thousand adult modelers with enough money to buy the kit are out there, that's far short of the numbers needed to guarantee stockholders a profit on their investment. Now if Disney would do a remake (it would be cool with the CGI today), then sales wouldn't be problem and a release would almost be guaranteed.

Just my opinion.

• 4 months later...

"I wonder how much interested there would be for model of a vehicle from a 1954 movie and a Walt Disney World attraction that has been closed since 1994. From Disney's perspective, there is not a lot of promotional value in the licensing of a model."

"John, I guess you are right about not enough interest in a 1954 film to make a kit viable."

I have to disagree. We've seen rereleases of far-less desired subjects: Dark Shadows figure kits, the "Glo Monster Heads," "Silly Surfers" and the like. The Disney Nautilus is an iconic ship; approaching the recognizability of certain TV starships, I'd say. It sits on the "grail lists" of numerous builders. I think Disney's missing an opportunity by not making a deal for its production, and earning the ill-will of customers by releasing expensive versions out of the reach of the vast majority of modelers.

Speaking of Disney and copyrights......Would love to see a re-release of the old....Pirates Of The Caribbean kits!!!!! Now that woudl be great!

At Wonderfest this year, that question was asked of the Polar Lights guys. They have found the molds but do not know their condition and if they would be useable.

He did say the primary concern would be licensing the name, not the plastic. I then suggested a reissue of the molds under a name not controlled by Disney ... Boney Buccaneers to be exact.

As for the Nautilus, Disney issued a $1000 die cast a few years ago that was really nice. Not worth a grand, but really nice anyway.

Just stumbled across this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-258-20-000-Leagues-Under-Sea-NAUTILUS-Submarine-/390346953187?_trksid=p4340.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D15%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2957012987722850550

Pretty interesting. The description says: This resin and plastic kit of the Nautilus is based upon an unissued Airfix kit that never made it to market.

The price is crazy though.

-Jesse

Just stumbled across this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/...012987722850550

Pretty interesting. The description says: This resin and plastic kit of the Nautilus is based upon an unissued Airfix kit that never made it to market.

-Jesse

Jesse,

The price isn't that bad for a resin kit.

A 12" resin ship will usually sell for anywhere from 80-250 depending on what all is included in the way of etch and other extras.

I have ordered one and will post a mini review here once I get it.

The Disney version of the Nautilus is quite iconic. I have copies of an old 'Scale Modeler' magazine that has drawings and an article that shows a cutaway model. There were a number of American modelling magazines that were printed on pulp newspaper back in those days of which this was one. Anyone remember 'Model Car and Science?

Is Dan Thompson's article from the IPMS USA magazine available as a PDF download?

Just stumbled across this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/...012987722850550

-Jesse

$149 is not so crazy considering that many will pay $30 for a resin cockpit set. Hand made kits are a lot of work.

• 6 years later...

I built this one many years ago, it's 54"long. I used just about everything in the way of materials to build it from cast resin, Plastruct plastic to brass & bass wood.

I just joined IPMS & am looking forward to doing some more  model building, I have been building big R/C airplane stuff for the past 45 years and now am excited about the more relaxing aspect of the static plastic stuff.

Larry B 

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG