"Big Healey"

Wildcat

The old monogram kit with the multi-part body? The 100/6?

Here's a 3000 from the parking lot at Cavallino this weekend:

healy.jpg

The old monogram kit with the multi-part body? The 100/6?

Here's a 3000 from the parking lot at Cavallino this weekend:

healy.jpg

Dat be da one. Didn't you do one of these a few years back?

Looks sweet! I got to drive a Healey 3000 a few years ago that was for sale - it drove like an old pickup truck, but the engine made all the right sounds and there is nothing like a Little British Car with the top down to put a big smile on your face (too bad the body was full of scary rust bubbles - it was the sort of project that could end a perfectly good marriage smiley19.gif).

How is the engine detail on this kit? I was ready to order the latest reissue until I saw the $30 price tag...

Don

Revell 1/24th scale Austin Healey 100-6.

Not a bad kit considering its age. Needs better wheels but I didn't have any handy. Worked on these in the 1960's and it was really fun to try to get anything done through that small hood (bonnet).

ah100-6%20011.JPG

ah100-6%20005.JPG

ah100-6%20007.JPG

ah100-6%20010.JPG

More here:

http://www.percongrp...s/ah3000_ms.htm

Edited by Wildcat

Nice kit build of a quintessentially English sports car from the old originally Revell kit. Interesting post from Dan Schmitz with regard to driving one riddled with rust. and handling like a truck! Yep, that just about sums up the quality of most British Motor Corporation cars built here in the UK back then. Having had some of their rust buckets in the past I have experienced this first hand. Even when BMC became British Leyland there was hardly any improvement in quality. I bought a Triumph Dolomite 1500HL that was absolutely immaculate when I bought it. Despite using a rust proofing kit as soon as I bought it to spray wax to penetrate into all the bodywork's hidden nooks and crannies, after a couple of years it started to rot like a vampire doused in holy water. I was not impressed!. It was such a shame as the car was very well appointed and handled well. The Wolseley 6/110 that I owned also fared the same. Basically BMC and BL's quality control at the time left a lot to be desired unfortunately. Both nice looking cars but full restorations cost more that the value of these cars, so not many have survived. Only cars like the Austin Healey get money poured at them. Luckily there is an outfit named BL Heritage who make complete MGB bodies for enthusiasts to use all the mechanicals from a basket case, to rebuild their rot box MGB with a brand new body that has been made to modern standards. This has saved many MGBs from being scrapped.