The Duke's Workbench in 2011: Updated 12/2811

Mark Deliduka

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Mark,

This is a fabulous project. Will there be a set of tracks and roadbed underneath the finished train? Does this count as ONE model when it is all connected, or THIRTEEN models when you report on your 2011 annual production? I'd go for the thirteen because each car (in pairs) is different from the others. Does the final paint color come in a gallon-sized spray bomb?

Ed

Looking good Duke! How do you plan to display the train once you complete it?

GIL :smiley16:

Hi, Mark,

This is a fabulous project. Will there be a set of tracks and roadbed underneath the finished train?

Thanks Gil and Ed for the compliments, I really appreciate them. It keeps me motivated to keep going whenever I get such excellent replies. This model is definitely a very challenging one, but most fulfilling and satisfying watching it all come together.

I have a friend whose brother owns a cabinet shop. He's cutting and building a seven-foot-long by 18-inch-wide display baseboard for this train. I'm going to be purchasing about six more sets of Trumpeter's 1/72 scale track and roadbed as is found in their BR.52 Kriegslokomotive kit. They sell it separately. I'm also planning on getting a turnout as well so I can lay two tracks on the 7x1.5-foot board. One track will pass diagonally from one corner of the board to the other with the turnout at one end. That track will hold the armored train The other track will come off the turnout and parallel one side of the board near the edge. That track will hold my BR-52 Kriegslokomotive; and eventually, my Morser Karl on railcars, and my Leopold railgun when I get them built. I will also be landscaping this board with some trees, bushes, a road paralleling the diagonal track with another road crossing both tracks and intersecting the 'main' road near the far end of the board. In between the two tracks at the open end of the board I'll be adding a train station too that will sit between the two tracks and next to the intersecting road. Beyond that, I haven't decided what else I'll be putting on it. Once it's done, I'll be trying to figure out just where it's going to go....

Does this count as ONE model when it is all connected, or THIRTEEN models when you report on your 2011 annual production? I'd go for the thirteen because each car (in pairs) is different from the others. Does the final paint color come in a gallon-sized spray bomb?

Ed

Well Ed, that is a very good question. Technically, it is two kits: One kit of the engine and a set of cars, and the 'complimentary pack' which contains the second set of cars sans engine to make the full train. Although I agree that each of these could stand on it's own, I think I will just call it one kit finished since they are all supposed to be displayed as one entity and not thirteen different models. Besides, someone may come along and accuse me of padding my count! :blink::smiley18::smiley4:

As for the paint; I'll be airbrushing this one. I've already picked up six jars of Testor's Model Master Panzer Dunklegelb, but it looks like I'll need about six more jars! This thing already wiped out a whole can of primer! Then there's the three to five jars or so of the other two colors for the camo pattern. Still looking at options on how to paint this beastie. I may get a basecoat down on it today if all goes well.

Thanks guys again for the great comments and compliments. I am thrilled with the interest you've shown on this project,

Today I got more progress done, so here it is.

First off, I got the dunklegelb basecoat on almost all my train. Only one car is still not painted; I have too much to add to it yet. I'm just waiting for parts to come in.

Now I didn't have room to set it all up in a line, so I'm going to show them all two by two, except for the engine and tenders. They are all in this pic here:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXVIIIa.JPG

Next are the Geschutzwagens:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXVIIIb.JPG

Then the Kommandowagens:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXVIIIc.JPG

Followed by the Artilleriewagens:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXVIIId.JPG

Then the TR cars holding the panzer 38(t)'s. I only have one Panzer 38(t) right now. Waiting for the pother to come in, as well as the parts to finish the unpainted TR wagon:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXVIIIe.JPG

And finally, the turreted cars:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXVIIIf.JPG

Wow, now to wait for the last parts I need to come in. Meanwhile, I can start to camouflage this train.

Moving along, I wasn't only working on this train. I also started a project I've been wanting to do. I entered this in the Sherman Group Build going on over on the LEM.

This is my Israeli M-50 Sherman I'm building using parts from a Dragon M-4 105mm with HVSS suspension and adding them to the conversion kit from Corporal Overby's Motor Pool.

First off, the HVSS suspension bogies were real fiddly to build when all parts were removed from the sprue. So, I decided to build them mostly on the sprue:

WIP_Sherman_GB_I.JPG

Next I had to install them all on the chassis of the M-50. This is a late model M-50 by the way. I set the thing on it's side to line up all the bogies; and then to make sure all wheels would touch the ground, I used a straight edge off one of the pour blocks to tap them all in a line:

WIP_Sherman_GB_II.JPG

While they were drying, I worked on the turret. I cleaned up the main gun and then added it to the turret, making sure it was all lined up right:

WIP_Sherman_GB_III.JPG

Here it is, all assembled with the basics so far. I still have hatches and other things to add to it:

WIP_Sherman_GB_IV.JPG

Now I'm a bit puzzled. This kit gives me the following options for the engine deck:

WIP_Sherman_GB_V.JPG

As there are no instructions with this kit; I'm wondering which one should I use? This is the M-50 Late according to the box, but I've no idea what that would have as an engine deck. The box top image doesn't show which one to use, so I'll take any and all suggestions.

Meanwhile, I haven't been focusing solely on armor; I've also been working on my C-160 Transall just to keep my hand in aircraft. I managed to get the fuselage together despite a severely warped interior cargo deck. here it is with the main wings dry fit on:

WIP_Transall_II.JPG

Okay, that completes my latest work. I'm hoping to get more done on the other two transport aircraft I'm building as well. Once I have enough progress to justify pics, you'll see them here!

Meanwhile, thanks all for looking in, comments are always welcome.

Mark,

I hate you! It the short time you did all this and more, I have only been able to get both sets of running gear on my leatest model.

RURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Slow down! :smiley23:

I'm Just kidding Mark. As always I love seeing everything you build. An since you pump them out faster It is always fresh. Graet job Mark. Will be checking in later.

Chris

Thanks Chris! I'm glad you are checking in and posting. I love seeing people's comments; the more that gets posted, the more I build!

I'm glad you are still building, even if it isn't as fast as you'd like. The important thing is to keep having fun!

Awesome comment Chris, looking forward to posting more for you. It's raining here today, so I'll be getting a lot more done, especially on my transports and one of my helicopters.

Stay tuned....

WIP_Sherman_GB_V.JPG

As there are no instructions with this kit; I'm wondering which one should I use? This is the M-50 Late according to the box, but I've no idea what that would have as an engine deck. The box top image doesn't show which one to use, so I'll take any and all suggestions.

It's the one on the far right. The M51 "Isherman" had a diesel engine replacing the Sherman's (mostly) gasoline engines. You can google M51 and find pictures.

WIP_Sherman_GB_V.JPG

It's the one on the far right. The M51 "Isherman" had a diesel engine replacing the Sherman's (mostly) gasoline engines. You can google M51 and find pictures.

Thanks for this info, but mine is not the M-51 Isherman. I'm building an M-50 Late model Sherman. Please let me know what deck to use for the M-50 Late.

Good morning everyone!

I haven't been able to do too much lately on anything, but I did manage to get enough progress done to justify pics.

I'll start with the Mi-4. It has a chin compartment that holds a machinegun. The front is glass, obviously so the gunner can see. Well, I lost the clear part that goes over the front of it so I tried scratchbuilding one. here is the results:

WIP_Mi_4_I%7E0.JPG

Later on, I'll try test-fitting to see where I need to shape the upper part of that clear piece to make it fit.

Now on to my big projects. I'm referring to my Heller 1/72 scale Transall, my MPC /72 scale C-130A and m,y Roden 1/72 scale An-12 Cub transport aircraft. I can't wait to get these finished and get these big boxes out of my Hobby Room!

I got the C-160 Transall sitting on it's wheels now. I also added some Mr. Surfacer 500 to all the seams that needed it in preparation for sanding:

WIP_Transall_III.JPG

That was the only flat space in my hobby room where I could place that and I had to create that flat space!

Next, I closed up my C-130 A to test and see if I have enough weight in the nose to keep it standing right. Here it is taped up before my test:

WIP_C_130A_I.JPG

An dafter that, I also taped up and tested my AN-12 Cub I started some time ago as well. Everything is just dry-fit together here:

WIIP_An_12_Cub_I.JPG

Moving along, I managed to finally get the rear fuselage/tail assembly completed:

WIIP_An_12_Cub_II.JPG

All that's needed are the horizontal control surfaces. Here's a shot of the underside:

WIIP_An_12_Cub_III.JPG

Well, that's all I have to show for now. Monday is Hobby Day and I should be able to get alot more progress done to show off. Meanwhile, thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

I found it, I found it, I finially found it. I now know Marks secret to building models so fast. Best part is he took the picture. Scroll up and on the third photo you will see a StarBucks coffee cup. I new he was juicing, I just knew it. Got you!

Chris

I found it, I found it, I finially found it. I now know Marks secret to building models so fast. Best part is he took the picture. Scroll up and on the third photo you will see a StarBucks coffee cup. I new he was juicing, I just knew it. Got you!

Chris

:smiley22: :lol: :lol:

Gee Chris, I thought this was old news! That was the day I slowed down a bit, if it was in a cup. Usually, I'm taking it intravenously.....:blink::blush:

I guess that's why that day was so slow; I wasn't hooked up.....:smiley11:

Great post Chris! Thanks! I needed that! :smiley20:

WIP_Sherman_GB_V.JPG

Thanks for this info, but mine is not the M-51 Isherman. I'm building an M-50 Late model Sherman. Please let me know what deck to use for the M-50 Late.

Oops. Mental Auto-complete kicked in. Then, according to this picture:

Image of M50 rear deck on "KitMaker"

It's the one on the far left.

WIP_Sherman_GB_V.JPG

Oops. Mental Auto-complete kicked in. Then, according to this picture:

Image of M50 rear deck on "KitMaker"

It's the one on the far left.

Thanks Dave. Did Grzegorz build the Late version? He doesn't say on Kitmaker, but I'm thinking it's the early version there because of the VVSS suspension. I'm doing the Late version with the HVSS suspension.

I do appreciate the help. I'm also looking around for more info too, but this is one confusing dilemma.

I did get more progress done on this and others that I'll be posting a bit later.

Thanks again for the replies.

And here is the promised pics of my latest progress.

Monday was a very productive day for me! It's great having a Hobby Day to go to once a week!

I'll start out with my latest progress on my aircraft.

This is the Mi-4. It is all assembled and I even got a partial basecoat on it:

WIP_Mi_4_V.JPG

Next, I'll show you a couple pics of the interior of my An-12 Cub before I close it up:

WIP_An_12_Cub_IV.JPG

This is the cockpit:

WIP_An_12_Cub_V.JPG

And here is the Cub all buttoned up. The fuselage is all cemented together; the wings and tail surfaces are just dry fit on:

WIP_An_12_Cub_VI.JPG

All it needs is a little sanding and then I can add the wings, tail, clear parts and undercarriage and this will then be ready for paint!

Moving along to my armor, I have started a simple kit that's been sitting in my stash for a bit. This is my Sa-2 SAM missile launcher completely assembled and ready for paint:

WIP_SAM_2_I.JPG

I also took some time to get more pieces on the Israeli M-50 Sherman I'm doing for the Group Build over on the LEM. This one is almost ready for paint:

WIP_Sherman_GB_VI.jpg

Since just recently my bumpers came in, I decided to get those bumpers on my armored train cars that needed them. First the Artilleriewagen one side:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXIX_a.JPG

And on the other side:

WIP_Armnord_Train_XXIX_b.JPG

Next, I added them to the Commander's Car that needed them:

WIP_Armnord_Train__XXX.JPG

Finally, I was looking at all the sprues for this train and checking out all the leftover parts. I then looked over the instruction sheets and found a whole bunch of parts I'd neglected to add to this train. So, here are the cars I added parts to.

I added the extra shielding to the one turreted car. The other one is missing the front shield so if I can't find it, I'll have to scratchbuild one:

WIP_Armnord_Train__XXXI.JPG

And on these TR wagons, I added on the unloading ramps for the Panzer 38(t)'s:

WIP_Armnord_Train__XXXII.JPG

Now for another shot of paint on this train and then start some camouflage while waiting for the final parts to come in.

Well, that has been my productive Monday, and I'm feeling great about the progress I've made. I can't wait to get some more done.

Meanwhile, thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Duke,

Drop me an email at home and we can discuss the M-50. It will all depend on how much Work you want to do. Either the middle or the right is fine for HVSS it just means altering your rear plates to match. None (to my knowledge) of the Cummins engined M-50s had the rear exhaust deflectors. The oringinal (middle) deck had a single exhaust port on the left side. If you use the right engine, you need to plate over the exhaust port. These are the Late engine arragements....Not sure where I can find some furst Generation pictures from.

m50late.jpg

m50latea.jpg

m50lateb.jpg

Here's what the rear plate would look like with the middle deck installed.

M50early.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

"Finally, I was looking at all the sprues for this train and checking out all the leftover parts. I then looked over the instruction sheets and found a whole bunch of parts I'd neglected to add to this train." ~ The Duke

Mark, you heretic!!! What kind of modeler are you, anyway? You actually ADMIT to looking at the instructions? When did that practice become necessary? :smiley29::smiley3:

Ed

Mark, thanks for the info and pics. I think I can get one exhaust removed and a piece in place making it look plated over. I also think I may use the right-side engine deck. THAT BEING said, an E-mail is on it's way later today.

"Finally, I was looking at all the sprues for this train and checking out all the leftover parts. I then looked over the instruction sheets and found a whole bunch of parts I'd neglected to add to this train." ~ The Duke

Mark, you heretic!!! What kind of modeler are you, anyway? You actually ADMIT to looking at the instructions? When did that practice become necessary? :smiley29::smiley3:

Ed

LOL! That practice became necessary when I had a ton of leftover parts and no idea where they went! LOL! On something this big and complicated, one must sometimes fall back on old, bad habits....

Thanks for the great replies guys!

This has been a good, productive weekend. I did a little work on Sunday, and then took everything to Hobby Day to work on it some more.

I'll start with my aircraft.

At home, I worked some more on my C-130A cockpit; finishing the painting. You can see this is a much less detailed cockpit than in later molds of this aircraft:

WIP_C_130A_II.JPG

Next thing I did was to close everything up inside the fuselage. The tail section was pretty warped, and I thing I had too much weight in the nose to close it all the way, but I still got it together quite well:

WIP_C_130A_III.JPG

Later, I took it to St. Crispin's Hobby Day. I got the landing gear all assembled and installed, added the last canopy piece and built the wings and propellers. Here it is all set up with the wings dry-fit to the fuselage:

WIP_C_130A_IV.JPG

This is now ready for paint after some sanding and detail cleanup.

Since I'd gotten my Herc up to the painting stage, I figured I'd do the same for my An-12 Cub. I installed the landing gear and added the clear parts to the nose and tail. When I went to add the main canopy/windscreen, it was nowhere to be found. I hate that! If I'm not losing decals, I'm losing the stinkin' clear parts! :smiley26::smiley18:

Oh well, I'm going to keep building this and finishing it until there's nothing left to do but add the canopy all the while hoping I can get one from Roden.

Here it is finally sitting on it's landing gear. I still need to add some weight to the nose since the nose gear is floating so maybe it's a good thing I haven't added the main canopy:

WIP_An_12_Cub_VII.JPG

Just for kicks, here's both of these planes sitting side by side.

WIP_Transports_I.JPG

Now I have all three of my transports all ready for paint. Time to break out the airbrush....

Before I do that, I'll show you my latest progress on my armor.

I got the M-50 Sherman all completely assembled and ready for paint now:

WIP_Sherman_GB__VII.JPG

WIP_Sherman_GB__VIII.JPG

I went with the far right engine deck and removed one of the exhaust pipes below and made it look plated over. It may be inaccurate, or it may not.. What ever the case, it will be finished!

I'll be shooting paint on this along with my transports.

And finally, I can declare that all assembly is finished on this armored train!

Thanks to my friend Dave, I have acquired my last quad AA gun for my train and gotten it installed:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXXVIIIa.JPG

Next, thanks to my friend Neil, I got all the parts I needed to complete another Panzer 38(t) for my second TR wagon. I got it all assembled; here it is sitting on the TR car:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXXVIIIb.JPG

Now, after a little more cleanup work and adjustments, I'll be shooting another basecoat over the unpainted parts I've added, then I'll start my camouflage on this train. man, I'm so close to being done I can taste it!

WIP_Armored_Train_XXXVIIIc.JPG

Last but not least, I decided to relax by starting a new model. This is the chassis of a Ural command truck I got done before it was time to head home:

WIP_Ural_Command_Truck_I.JPG

Well, that's about all I have to show for now. I have a few days before Thanksgiving that are completely free, so I may get even more done this week. I'll keep you posted so stay tuned....

Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are always welcome!

Wow, I've overwhelmed everyone to the point of speechlessness.... :smiley22: ;) :D

Okay people, prepare to be overwhelmed again!

This past Monday I only worked on my armored train. I spent the whole day painting camouflage on it and right now a little more than half if this train is painted.

Here it is:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXXIX_aJPG.jpg

I placed it on the tracks I'm going to use to display it. Doing this allowed me to see where I need to break off some wheels and re-set them so this sits properly on the tracks.

Here are some closeup shots of parts of this train.

The locomotive and two tenders:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXXIXb.JPG

The Geschutzwagen and Kommandowagen:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXXIXc.JPG

And the Artilleriewagen and other two cars:

WIP_Armored_Train_XXXIXd.JPG

There's a lot of cleanup and adjustment to do to all those camo patterns to improve them, so I'll be working quite a bit on getting this done soon. Then I have to adjust all the wheels too. Stay tuned as I will post updates when I can.

Well, it's a short update, but that's all I have for now. Thanks all for looking in.

Hi, Mark,

Look! There's a train hidden in all that color!

Your camo scheme reminds me of those wildly colored posters that make no sense until you look at them long enough for your brain to disengage, and, lo, a 3D object leaps out of the colorful fog. I can always do this brain trick, but my wife just can't let the focus of her eyes relax enough to see the hidden objects. Is your camo scheme based on a photo or published reference drawing? Or are you making it up to suit your artistic license? I am simply amazed at the lack of colored areas overlapping one another on such a giant project.

Ed

Thanks guys! Mark, another friend of mine said something similar, mentioning that the colors don't let your eyes focus on any lines or details.

Ed, this is based partially on a historical pic. There are others showing a pattern like one done by a guy with a spraygun who just swirled it around as he sprayed. I didn't like that pattern so I chose to go with this one. The only other patterns offered were solid yellow or yellow with a winter whitewash. I hate doing winter subjects so that was out and I wanted one with a pattern on it. This pattern is actually similar to, if not the same as, the pattern I did on my Whittmann's Tiger I. I do have to refine this though. As I went along; I was making the stripes too close together, so I need to refine this pattern by widening them up. Hopefully it will make this look even better.

Thanks again for the great comments guys. Stay tuned for more!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, this will probably be the last update showing the progress on the models I'm working on this year. Many of these will most likely be finished in the next few days.

Now that the armored train is finished, I'm going to try and get a few stalled projects finished. I've also started a few 'quick' models in order to 'cleanse the pallet' so to speak.

I'll start with two aircraft models I started. These are two BAe Hawks I found in the stash while cleaning one day. I figured these would be some quick little builds that would be different enough.

This first one is the Air defense variant. It is the Italeri 1/72 scale model kit. Here is the cockpit:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_ADV_I.JPG

Another shot showing the instrument panels. I hand painted those:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_ADV_II.JPG

My apologies for the poor pics. I guess my macro didn't focus too well there.

Here it is all assembled and ready for paint:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_ADV_III.JPG

Then I painted it. The upper grey color was apparently no good as I couldn't get a smooth coat on it. So, I sanded it down as much as I could in preparation for a new attempt with another grey. I also had added most of the landing gear and other detail parts. It's sitting propped up because one of the landing gear was broken:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_ADV_IV.JPG

Next is my other BAe Hawk, this one is the 1/72 scale Fujimi strike bird. Not much cockpit to show, so I forgot to take pics of it. Here it is with fuselage and wings assembled:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_Strike_I.JPG

NOTE: I started this one before the Italeri one. Because of poor instructions on the Fujimi kit, I made a construction error here. It becomes more noticeable when you see this next pic where I fixed it after I'd painted the camo pattern on it:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_Strike_II.JPG

Here it is later when I'd repainted the error and added all the landing gear, landing gear doors and underwing stores. She's ready for decals now:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_Strike_III.JPG

Okay, on to the third quick 'kit' to be started. I put that in small quotes because the kit includes two vehicles. I shall still count this as two models. This is one of the Dragon 1/72 scale armored jeeps that comes in this tandem kit:

Again, my apologies for the pic quality. These little jeeps are about one inch long. I guess my camera was having difficulty focusing on something that small.

Here is the second one built and sitting next to the first one:

WIP_Armored_Jeeps_II.JPG

Next I added the wheels and photo-etch armor plates. These two are ready for decals:

WIP_Armored_Jeeps_III.JPG

Finally, two of the stalled projects I started some time ago and never posted.

First off is the ancient MPC Profile Series kit of the P-61 Black Widow. I've always wanted to build one of every one of the old MPC Profile Series models. This one however, is quite the dog. Here it is all assembled so far. I have it propped up because one of the landing gear broke here too. Also, the booms are all crooked compared to the rest of the plane. Looks like I'll have to break this one up in order to fix it:

WIP_P_61_Black_Widow_I.JPG

And finally, a model that is going together much better. This is the Italeri Night Hawk that is right now ready for paint:

WIP_Night_Hawk_I.JPG

Well, that completes my final Works in Progress Post for 2011. Any more pics will be posted next year. Some of these will most likely be done, along with some others not shown on this latest post. You'll see them later in my 2011 Year in Review Thread.

Meanwhile, thanks all for looking in, comments are always welcome.