The Duke's Workbench in 2011: Updated 12/2811

Mark Deliduka

It's a new year and now for some new models.

Here are the first models I started for 2011, as well as some models that were started last year but not finished.

Here's a couple I started last year. One is almost finished. The YF-12A is painted and ready for decals. After that, I just need to detail it out and it'll be done. I may even have this finished before the month is out:

WIP_YF_12A_V.jpg

This next one is a model I picked up at the Nationals in Phoenix. This is the R100 airship I started some time back. Getting the lower part of the mooring building done was tough since there were so many gaps I needed to fill in hard-to-sand areas. I managed to finally get it done well enough to move on. Here's the mooring building next to the airship with a nice view of my disorganized workbench behind:

WIP_R100_II.jpg

Now for the models I started this year. Here is the first one.

This is the RPM 1/72 scale Hochkiss H39 that has been a pain to build from the get-go. Bad seams, tough fit, excessively tiny parts, and finally, a missing fender. Don't know when I'll get this finished; it depends on when I find that fender:

WIP_French_Tank_SoS_I.jpg

Next is an easier kit to do. This is the RevellAG 1/72 scale German bridge-layer tank based on the Leopard I. I got the bridge part done (it separates) and the roadwheels are on the torsion bars:

WIP_German_Bridgelayer_II.jpg

Next is another RevellAG kit, the up-armored Warrior APC in 1/72 scale. I have most of it done; I just need a coat of paint on it before I add the tracks and finish the assembly:

WIP_British_Warrior_I.jpg

These next two are a couple of simple kits I picked up for a buck or two each. This one is the Heller Hawker Tempest in 1/72 scale:

WIP_Tempest_I.jpg

This last one is an old Hawk kit of a US Coast Guard cutter in WWII configuration. A very simple kit; I'm not even sure what class of vessel or what name it has:

WIP_Coast_Guard_Cutter_I.jpg

Well, that's about all I got done so far for this year. Thanks all for looking and comments are welcome!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

Great job, you are off running and leaving the rest of us behind as always. One question? It that a tube of tube glue I see behind the bridge layer? You really still use that stuff? :smiley29:

Chris

Mark,

Great job, you are off running and leaving the rest of us behind as always. One question? It that a tube of tube glue I see behind the bridge layer? You really still use that stuff? :smiley29:

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yeah, off with a bang; I just hope I can maintain some momentum better this year.

And yes, I still use that orange tube glue for every model!

And yes, I still use that orange tube glue for every model!

I knew you had a secret weapon to building all those great models so fast. Who would have guested? Rock on Duke.dry.gif

Yeah Chris, ya busted me! And now to show you how well my 'secret weapon' has been working.....

Thanks to St. Crispin's Hobby Night being opened very early, (10:30AM) I was able to rock on by starting three more models while getting further progress on two more. I'll start with the ones I made progress on.

Here's the little coast guard cutter I did. This one is ready for paint; all assembly is complete:

WIP_Coast_Guard_Cutter_II.jpg

Awhile ago, I started my last civilian aircraft that I found quite by accident. This is a 1/72 scale Aurora Cherokee Arrow II that I had gotten years ago with my original Bonanza, Piper Aztec and Cherokee. I actually had forgotten I had it until I opened a box and found it. Here is the progress I've made on it since building the interior:

WIP_Cherokee_Arrow_I.jpg

These next models are the ones I started at Hobby Night.

First off is the Kamov Hokum Ka50W that I got from the Distressed Kit Auction. This is the rear half of the fuselage. The front half isn't complete until I can get the cockpit painted.

WIP_Kamov_Ka50_W_I.jpg

This next plane is an SO3 Seaplane that was also featured int he "Porco Rosso" movie as flown by Porco's challenger. I got the floats assembled and some of the parts on the fuselage. Later when I get the interior painted, I'll put this together.

WIP_SO3_floatplane_I.jpg

And finally, so my Coast Guard Cutter won't feel so lonely in the slipways, here is my LEM Secret Santa gift, the USS Virginia. I got the main hull and superstructure finished. Now to add all the fiddly bits; including some scary looking photo-etch!

WIP_USS_Virginia_I.jpg

Well, that's about all for now. Maybe I'll have more done by the end of the week. Until then, thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

Hi, Mark,

I know where all your missing parts and decals are. You will find them on the floor at St.Crispen's. Your fingers move so fast as your cut parts from the sprues, clean them up with sanpaper and files, and slather them with tube glue that to the observer all one sees is a blur. When things fly off the table, who would notice? Perhaps the dustbin at St. Crispen's is a better place to look if they sweep up after you leave.

Ed :lol:

LOL! Thanks for the great laugh Ed!

Believe it or not, I do check the floor at St. Crispin's hall before I leave just in case I lose something! That's also the nice thing about building there; with four or five of us sitting there, if one happens to 'tweezerpult' a part into the ether, everyone takes time to help search for the part. It's also great to be able to help a fellow modeler with questions or problems.

Stay tuned for more pics of further progress coming soon!

• 2 weeks later...

And now for another update. These are the models I got worked on at St. Crispin's again. I also started one or two as well.

I'll start with the British Buccaneer I started This pic shows the fuselage all together:

WIP_Buccaneer_I.jpg

Later, after sanding and adding extra surfacer and more sanding, I added the tail and wings:

WIP_Buccaneer_II.jpg

Next I got the bridgelayer all assembled except for adding the roadwheels. They will go on later after I get everything painted:

WIP_German_Bridgelayer_III.jpg

As you can see here, the bridge parts are not cemented in:

WIP_German_Bridgelayer_IV.jpg

Later, I got the cockpit assembled and added to the main fuselage of the Hokum:

WIP_Kamov_Ka50_W_II.jpg

My little floatplane is now almost all assembled. I need to shoot paint on it now:

WIP_SO3_floatplane_II.jpg

And finally, a friend of mine gave me a Matchbox Hawker Hunter that he'd started and didn't want anymore, so I decided to got some more progress done on it:

WIP_Hunter_I.jpg

That's about all for now. I have another St. Crispin's Monday tomorrow so I'll have more to post after that.

Meanwhile, thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Cool! I'd been wanting a Roger B Taney kit, but this is even better since it is closer to my collection's overall scale.

Hopefully this week I'll get some paint shot on it and a few others.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's another long update post showing my latest progress and newest models.

A few I only got a couple things done on; for instance, I got the main windscreen on the Cherokee Arrow and that was all on that one. The rest of these pics will be of models where some noticeable progress was made.

I'll start out the pics with a couple of models that I got paint shot on recently This first one is the German Leopard bridgelayer that finally has the basecoat of green on it:

WIP_German_Bridgelayer_V.jpg

I then got the little floatplane shot with blue:

WIP_SO3_floatplane_III.jpg

After that, I got a little more progress on one more model. I got the nose and canopy on the little Hunter and then added a bit more Mr. Surfacer to some of the seams. Next all I have to do it sand this down and then mask and shoot a basecoat:

WIP_Hunter_II.jpg

Next, I got all the little detail pieces on the USS Virginia's superstructure and then painted the lower hull:

WIP_USS_Virginia_II.jpg

Just need the deck fixtures and this is ready for paint.

Finally, do you all remember the armored train I started last year? Well, I finally got a little more work done on it. I assembled three more cars for it so that this is now about halfway done After that, I'll need to sand the gaps where I filled them with CA, then add all the little detail parts. I also still have to set the wheel width on these so they fit on my display track right. That's why there are no wheels on the newest cars yet:

WIP_Armored_Train_VI.jpg

WIP_Armored_Train_VII.jpg

Now for my newest models I started. I'll begin with four of the five Bradley variants that I started. I found all these together and decided it was time to get them built. Here are four of them:

WIP_4_Bradleys_I.jpg

After that, I started an old YOV 10A Bronco that a friend bought for me. This is now all ready for paint after I mask the clear parts:

WIP_YOV_10_Bronco_I.jpg

Next is a model I was sold by a friend who got it as a gift. This one I will be making British so I can use the US decals for the US one I built some time ago and lost the decals for. Oh, what is it, you ask? This is my Italeri 1/72 scale C-130 Hercules. Here is the cockpit all assembled:

WIP_British_C130_I.jpg

This is the fuselage taped together. I have the windows installed in it and the inside painted:

WIP_British_C130_II.jpg

Here are the wings for this big guy. All they need is the propellers. They'll be one of the last things to go on:

WIP_British_C130_III.jpg

Well, that's all for now. I hope you enjoyed this latest post. Stay tuned for more. Meanwhile, comments are welcome.

My head spins just trying to keep track of the pics of all your WIPs. I can't imagine what it's like to actually have to remember what I was doing last and what's next when having so many kits going at once. You must be an organizational genius! Nice progress Duke!

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for taking so long to reply. Been fighting a nasty bronchial pneumonia here and I'm finally feeling well enough to do anything.

My head spins just trying to keep track of the pics of all your WIPs. I can't imagine what it's like to actually have to remember what I was doing last and what's next when having so many kits going at once. You must be an organizational genius! Nice progress Duke!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil! As for being an organizational genius; my workbench and several lost parts would argue that fact. I do try to keep things together well enough to finish them.

Just got back to the bench yesterday. Gonna try and do more today. I'll get some more pics up when I do. Stay tuned and thanks again for the great reply.

Patiently waiting to see the Bradleys done. Duke, when ya build a Hercules.....The only one to build is the AC version!!!!!!

Keep 'em rolling!!!!

Patiently waiting to see the Bradleys done. Duke, when ya build a Hercules.....The only one to build is the AC version!!!!!!

Keep 'em rolling!!!!

LOL! Got some good progress on the Bradleys. Pics up later today I hope. As for the Hercules, I have two AC versions hanging on the ceiling already: The AC130H and the AC130U. Now I need to cargo birds to keep their base supplied.

Thanks Chris. I got the basecoat on the bridge layer; should get a pattern on it soon. Stay tuned and thanks for the great comments guys!

Well, I'm feeling better and so I managed to get some work done over the past couple days. So, as promised, here are the latest progress pics from my workbench.

This will be a quick and easy update. I'll start with all the aircraft I made progress on. There's only one thing to say really: This one is ready for paint:

My Heller 1/72 scale Hawker Tempest, ready for paint:

WIP_Tempest_II.JPG

My 1/72 scale Cherokee Arrow, ready for paint:

WIP_Cherokee_Arrow_III.JPG

My 1/72 scale Matchbox Hawker Hunter, ready for paint:

WIP_Hunter_III.JPG

My 1/72 scale Zvezda Kamov Hokum Ka-50W, ready for paint:

WIP_Kamov_Ka50_W_III.JPG

Next I have only one pic of my latest armor. I have three of the five Bradley variants ready for paint. Once I get them all ready; I'll shoot paint on them. The second one from right has a little more to go on it before it is ready:

WIP_4_Bradleys_IIJPG.jpg

There it is, simple and quick. Tomorrow I may have even more progress done. Stay tuned....

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay people, as promised, I have some more pics here. While I had a lot of models to shoot paint on, I didn't get pics of all of them.

I'll start with a model I am doing for a Group Build on the HLI Forums. This is the 1/72 scale Matchbox Privateer that was chosen for me from the other members of the "In My Stash" Group Build. I got the cockpit assembled and painted:

WIP_Privateer_I.JPG

Next I did a lot of painting and assembly of many parts that were molded in two parts; like wings, horizontal stabilizers, vertical stabilizer, etc. here are those sprues showing what I got done.

WIP_Privateer_II.JPG

In that pic you can even see the crew I painted which I will be adding to this model. Here's the rest:

WIP_Privateer_III.JPG

WIP_Privateer_IV.JPG

Next step for this model is to assemble all the turrets and then get more assembly done. Stay tuned...

Meanwhile, I got paint and a pattern on my Hawker Hunter. Classic British paint scheme:

WIP_Hunter_IV.JPG

All that's left for that is the decals, landing gear and underwing stores. Hopefully soon!

Now on to my armor.

Here's the British Warrior I got some progress done on. I finally installed the tracks, and now this is ready for more paint, camo pattern etc.:

WIP_British_Warrior_II.JPG

And finally, here are the five Bradley variants all basecoated and waiting for their camo patterns. I'll be posting them one by one here. My apologies for some of the blurry pics. The table at St. Crispin's wasn't exactly the most sturdy thing to brace on, especially since other modelers were working on them too:

WIP_5_Bradleys_V.JPG

WIP_5_Bradleys_IV.JPG

This one I managed to get one of the tracks on:

WIP_5_Bradleys_III.JPG

WIP_5_Bradleys_II.JPG

And finally, the final Bradley variant, the Linebacker ADV:

WIP_5_Bradleys_I.JPG

Well, that is about all there is for now. Back to the workbench.

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

Well, tonight I did get some more progress done and here are the pics. I'll start with my five Bradleys. They are all assembled completely, (except for gun barrels) and ready for their camo patterns.

Check them out:

Here's my M3A2 Bradley:

WIP_5_Bradleys_X.JPG

This is my M2A2 Bradley:

WIP_5_Bradleys_IX.JPG

Here's my M<2A2 up-armored early Bradley:

WIP_5_Bradleys_VIII.JPG

And my M2A2 up-armored late Bradley:

WIP_5_Bradleys_VII.JPG

The scraped off paint on these two up-armored Bradleys are where some photo-etch parts will be going. I'll have them on it before I paint the patterns.

And finally, my M6 Linebacker Bradley:

WIP_5_Bradleys_VI_.JPG

That's all my Bradleys. They are ready for their camo pattern which I hope to have on tomorrow.

Here's my British Warrior, also ready for it's camo pattern:

WIP_British_Warrior_III.JPG

Now that I got them all ready for camo patterns, here is a couple shots of two other models I've been working on. This first one is the Cherokee Arrow all ready for decals:

WIP_Cherokee_Arrow_IV.JPG

And last of all for tonight is my little Hawk Coast Guard Cutter. I sprayed a flat gull grey onto it, then later painted the lower hull and then the decks. You can see there's a lot of touch-up needed there. I think I'm going to paint the superstructure a slightly darker grey than the hull so I don't have to keep decanting the color to touch it up. Besides, I think it'll look better:

WIP_Coast_Guard_Cutter_III.JPG

Later, when it is done, I'll need to find some number 31's to add to the bow.

Well, that's all I got so far tonight. Time to hit the sack.

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome!