Panzer II Ausf. G

FJCook

This is Tamiya's old Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. F/G (Item 35009). It costs $13.50 off the shelf, cheaper online. The hull tub indicates this kit was originally released in 1971 but I read somewhere it actually dates back to 1969. Comes with a DAK crewman for the turret hatch (holding binoculars) and four DAK infantryman advancing. You get several marking options. The decals are thick and took a little work to settle on the kit, even its flat surfaces covered with a smooth gloss coat! I weathered it with a couple of oil paint filters and MIG Pigments.

Some soft details, the vinyl tracks are really thick and not too accurate, and it takes more than adding a toolbox to the back of the turret to make an ausf. G. There are many inaccuracies, yes, but the kit went together well. I filled in the motorization holes, replaced an amorphous shape on the engine deck so it resembles a grab handle, drilled out the muzzles of the guns, and filled in the sponsons with plastic card. The paint scheme chosen is that of a panzer II kinda sorta on the east front during Operation Barbarossa, but the kit's painting and decal guide is entirely in Japanese and I lack good panzer II references. Most online stuff is sparse because the panzer II isn't as sexy as the Tiger .

At any rate, I enjoyed this one, intentionally overdoing the chipping and adding rust streaks. Not realistic but fun to do regardless.

PanzerII.jpg

I built this kit as a kid. I loved it so much I built it again a year ago. Added tow chain, bucket, air rec. flag, and some stowage. I agree that there are things incorrect about the kit, but it still is a classic. I love what you did. Came out great. Very nice job.

Chris

PanzerII.jpg

Thanks, guys!

@Chris: nice work on yours. I actually saw it and thought about picking up another one to paint up in DAK livery, maybe even add a figure or two!

I agree it's one of those kits that's just fun to build, not slog through like the more recent giant boxes of 30 sprues, photoetch, etc. Those have their particular brand of fun and historical interest, but I think this little panzer II kit is a definite "oldie but goodie," and easily lends itself to honing your modeling skills, whether it's scratchbuilding or working with photoetch or painting. You're not afraid to make errors with it.

Edited by FJCook