1/48 Ca Ta-4j Skyhawk

ghodges

Got this one done yesterday. I usually have one "long term" project (like the Skynight) and one "easy" one going at the same time. I bought this at the VB Nats and started it about a month ago. It's the Classic Airframes 1/48 TA-4J kit in the "trainer" edition.

There's a good write up on this on the IPMSUSA site, and some other reviews on the various forums. If you've built the various 1/48 Skyhawks, this one falls right in the middle build-wise. It's not as detailed or as fine fitting as the Hasagawa A-4's, but it is a step above the older Monogram kit in detail, and on a par with it fit-wise. It's the only true 1/48 KIT of the TA-4 (the old Fujimi is 1/50) and thus is MUCH better detailed and an easier build than any vac conversion or kitbash (and I've done both in the past!).

I'll simply give some observations instead of a detailed review. A) you'll need to add the quilted siding in the cockpits; which can be done with embossed foil or simply criss-crossed scribing. B) the main panels are MUCH less detailed than the side panels and seats. Replace them if that's important to you! I'd recommend looking for an Eduard clored PE set, as it would solve the problem nicely (availability??) C) the kit provides resin upper and lower wing flaps/spoilers w/actuators; but YOU will have to cut the wings apart as they are molded closed/up. This is the first A-4 I've ever built with the flaps up! D) an intake/engine front is provided but the fit is marginal; I made intake covers instead! E) The separate bottom rear fuselage panel is a different twist on Skyhawk assembly; fit is marginal F) my kit had 4 resin ejection seats, 2@ that are slightly different. I don't know which is correct, and I saw NO pull handles in the kit (if they're needed for one of the sets) G) Be prepared to spend more time on fit/ assembly. Don't be afraid to use wire pins to get stronger joins. H) You'll need to come up with the vent that is on the top of the fuselage behind the hump. It's really screwed up on the kit (half-there, half not) so even if you don't put in a vent you'll have to fill and sand there anyway! The rest of the surface details are very nicely done. I) the kit comes with all of the parts to do an aggressor or Israeli A-4, so you'll have some parts left over! With the exception of the intake covers (scratched), the model is OOTB.

100_1349.jpg

100_1348.jpg

100_1357.jpg

100_1355.jpg

100_1360.jpg

The markings are from Afterburner Decals "trainer" sheet. They're good decals, but as usual the plain white decals aren't opaque enough and the orange bleeds through. I lived with the "C" on the tail fin, but had to double up on the wing stars/bars. What's the only thing worse than trying to get a star to snuggle down over the wing vortexes? Getting TWO of them to do it! I had to resort to touch up paint....Other than that, the decals handled well and snuggled down nicely. The overall finish is MM gloss white and Testors orange, both thinned with lacquer thinner. The anti-glare panel on the nose is painted while the wing-walks are decals.

Comments and critiques welcome! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Top notch work Gil. The overall finish is very clean and sharp. Nice to see some of your work too.

Andy