Russian Armor WWII

DaveDeLang

I'm working on a PST KV2 in 1/72 and while I was painting it the other day I got to thinking, how come Russian armor doesn't have any stowage or unit markings? The only thing the KV2 has are tow cables and a slogan painted on the turret. No engineering tools or even basic maintenance tools, No division or regimental markings at all, just a slogan and the numeral 3.

Is it because the Russians viewed armored vehicles more as "rounds of ammunition" to be expended than as a valuable item that needs to be kept track of and repaired?

Dave,

Here is what I know. Most Russian armour rolled off the factory line an into the hands of the army crews. They where basically sent right into battle. Either the factory or the crews would right patricatic slogons on them. Division or unit markings were either never applied or never had the chance to be applied. As for stowage, this was non-exsistant. Most AFV did have a wood saw and a pry bar, maybe a shovel. To anwser your statement as to if they viewed the tanks as Rounds out. Yes. Basically flood the battle field with as much lead as possible. Talk more at the club meeting this month.

Chris

Edited by 802chrisg

• 2 weeks later...

I like Russian armor and the reason there is no Storage on the tanks is because the tanks doubled as troop transports. Markings were painted on by the crews or tank regiments. This is why you don't see a good numbering system either.