Tamiya Fine Surface Primer

802chrisg

I posted this question on Track Links also. Does Anybody know what is going on with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer? Every supplier I checked is out of it. Even Tamiya does not have anything on their site about it. Is it being discontinued? I found it on eBay, but at double what the price is. Help!!!

Didn't Tamiya just redo their formulation over in the UK & Europe to conform to new regulations? Perhaps this has hit the US now - they might have let the old stock run out and don't have the new version available yet.

Eric

Last time I was in my LHS the supply of Tamiya primer was at the usual quantity. Don't know about any shortage but that doens't mean its not happening and that it just hasn't impacted my area yet.

I've had the same issue finding Tamiya's Lacquer Thinner. Haven't checked in awhile to see if anyone has been re-stocked or not.

Thanks guys for the responces.

Eric, yes they did just redo their formulas, this could be the issue. I checked the Tamiya web site, but nothing is said about this.

Dick, I did try my LHS but they are out. That is a good call thuo. I never did ask the manager what was up. Will have to do that.

David, I have Mr Surfacer in a paint bottle. I did not know about the spray can. Will check into that one.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Guys,

Well I think I found my answer. Looks like that there are a whole lot of new hazordous materials shipping restrictions taking place in our country and others. The Tamiya fine Surface primer appears to qualifiy into this new regulation. Not sure what is going to happen. Lot of things need to be sorted out. For now if your LHS has it in stock I strongly suggest that you buy it. May not be able to get it anymore. Ebay does have it but it is marked up at double the price. Looks like the Evial bayers know something we did not. If anybody hear something different post it.

I hope they get it sorted out soon. I don't use Tamiya paint much but I do like their primers, clear coats and thinners. Seems all of these are in short supply right now.

David

I was talking with some fellow modelers in the EU part of the world yesterday and today. They are and did have the same problem. Some parts of the EU have worked this out. What is happening is with the new restrictions, suppliers are forced to re-ladel everything to comply with the new rules. Some of the guys I talked to said that it took well over a year to get this worked out. Sure hope it does not take that long here.

Chris

Edited by 802chrisg

Me too Chris. I'm down to my last cans of white primer, gloss and flat clear coats. I have 2 more cans of gray primer, but they won't last long working with 1:32 scale stuff.

David

Bit the bullet, Bought a can of surface primer on EBAY today. With shipping ($8.00) total came to just under $30.00. Frickin @*%!# you know what.:smiley7:

Dang man! I only have 10 cans left! I think I'll lock it up in the safe!:smiley3:

Dang man! I only have 10 cans left! I think I'll lock it up in the safe!:smiley3:

HUMMMMMMM, 10 cans you say. If you happen to see a couple of guys dressed in all black with masks on walking out with a can or two someday. :ph34r: Pay no attention to them they will working for me. They will be there to Hummm , ahh , clean your model room, yaaa that's it. What are fellow modelers for if we cannot help each other. Right Buddy!!!!!^_^

Edited by 802chrisg

HUMMMMMMM, 10 cans you say. If you happen to see a couple of guys dressed in all black with masks on walking out with a can or two someday. :ph34r: Pay no attention to them they will working for me. They will be there to Hummm , ahh , clean your model room, yaaa that's it. What are fellow modelers for if we cannot help each other. Right Buddy!!!!!^_^

As I said, in the safe man. :smiley22: Actually, I am lucky and value that stuff a lot. In the past I have done some building for Tamiya and they pay me off in product. When ever that happens, a box of white primer is always first on the list. I really would have to look far and wide to find a substitute. In the past I have assisted desperate modelers. Unfortunately it is about like wining the lottery. Once some one finds out, everyone comes knocking at the door. Next time you get desperate(have a deadline to finish a model for a show, customer or contest) try posting on the board. No guarantees, but people here are pretty generous. :smiley31: By the way, I looked on eBay after you mentioned it and it seems that the only stuff left in the world is in Hong Kong. I will have to call the boys up in Irvine and see what is up.

Edited by PeteJ

As I said, in the safe man. :smiley22: Actually, I am lucky and value that stuff a lot. In the past I have done some building for Tamiya and they pay me off in product. When ever that happens, a box of white primer is always first on the list. I really would have to look far and wide to find a substitute. In the past I have assisted desperate modelers. Unfortunately it is about like wining the lottery. Once some one finds out, everyone comes knocking at the door. Next time you get desperate(have a deadline to finish a model for a show, customer or contest) try posting on the board. No guarantees, but people here are pretty generous. :smiley31: By the way, I looked on eBay after you mentioned it and it seems that the only stuff left in the world is in Hong Kong. I will have to call the boys up in Irvine and see what is up.

Boy That was fast. When I ordered on EBAY there was about 10 US sellers and the rest were from Hong Kong. I would hold on to your stock. Looks like this may take some time to sort out.

Now where did I put that number for the safecracker guy?:smiley9: