Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV shows -

philp

Simon's Movie thread has been revived so thought I would put up the TV thread to go with it.

Feel free to list your favs as well as those that didn't cut the mustard.

Some of my favs:

Firefly

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Stargate SG-1

Babylon 5

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr (yeah more of a western but sci-fi/fantasy elements)

Batman (OK, mainly the episodes with Julie Newmar in them)

Quark (haven't seen it forever and my memories may have been influenced by the Doublemint Twins)

When Things were Rotten (any Robin Hood satire has got to make it on the list)

Wizards and Warriors

So, what are yours?

I liked many, but X-Files, Farscape, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica (re-make), Star Trek: TNG, Babylon 5, Enterprise and DS9 were on my "never miss" list when they aired.

I grew up watching Batman, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Land of the Giants, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Buck Rogers (Gil Gerard one), Lost in Space, and Land of the Lost and liked each show, but they may not have been very good or a favorite.

Today, I watch "V", Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and Walking Dead (if zombies count as sci-fi) as my "never miss" shows.

Cool thread, good thinking!

I had many loves, but I'll try and keep the list brief. Mmmm...let's see. Not in any order of release either, just brainstorming here...:wacko:

Star Trek, Original series

X files, Mulder episodes

Babylon 5, first few seasons. The "Shadow" wars episodes were extremely good!

The Invaders

The Prisoner

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Lost in Space, but only until I was about 9 years old.

U.F.O, The Gerry Anderson ones, excellent and way ahead of it's time.

Batman, until I was about 8 years old.

Doctor Who, the early ones, cheesy but great fun!

V, the new one, not bad at all. The old ones were stinky, just my opinion.

Battlestar Galactica, the old one was pretty cool for it's time, but the special effects were the star. The writing was for kids. Although the episodes with the "Count", and all the religion overtones, were very good.

Battlestar Galactica, recent series, extremely well written, adult oriented, sorry to see it go.

Space 1999, off on the timing, but some very good episodes.

I'm sure I've missed a few, but those came to mind easily.

Hope this thread is very popular, it was time to get into all the great shows! :smiley32:

Edited by papasmurf

• 3 weeks later...

Do any of you remember a TV series created by Roddenberry called Earth: Final Conflict? I remember watching it during the 1990s, but then it vanished and I never knew what became of the series. I found the season 1 DVD set yesterday at Walmart for a whopping $10. With any luck, I can run across some of the subsequent seasons.

Some others I forgot.

Dr Who - loved the Tom Baker years and several after then have loved the show since it came back a few years ago.

Eureka

Warehouse 13

Middleman

Torchwood

Night Stalker

Watched lots of those previously mentioned and while I liked them, not necessarily my favs.

Do any of you remember a TV series created by Roddenberry called Earth: Final Conflict? I remember watching it during the 1990s, but then it vanished and I never knew what became of the series. I found the season 1 DVD set yesterday at Walmart for a whopping $10. With any luck, I can run across some of the subsequent seasons.

I remember that show, but can't remember what it was about. I would love to get ahold of one of those DVD sets to see it again.

I had to lookup Earth: Final Conflict; I was surprised I hadn't heard of it until I saw it came on in the 90s when my kids were little and I watched very little tv.

Reminded me of some of Roddenberry's other tv pilot movies: Questor Tapes and Genesis II and maybe others. I think they all fell through due to "creative differences" with the networks.

Don

Edited by Schmitz

I lost track of the shows when I changed duty stations. That happened a lot throughout my life. You move from one region to the next and the local stations did not carry some of the shows that the previous one did. I know I "lost" Firefly that way in 2002. I was stationed at Ft. Lee for school for 6 months and when I returned home it had vanished. It was a real good show that I later found out was canceled about the time I would have been missing it.

"Firefly" may be the best sci fi tv ever - at least my opinion. If you like fantasy/horror Jos Whedon's more famous "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is surprisingly good (it took me a while to get past the title to give it a try). And if you liked "Buffy" you'll probably like "Supernatural" which is currently running on one of the smaller cable networks.

"Lost" was also one of my favorites - although the later episodes weren't nearly as good as the first few seasons.

Don

Yep, Firefly has to be at the top of my list (oh look, it was biggrin.gif). Stupid Fox.

I didin't get to see Farscape when it came out but my oldest got the series so I got to see it all. Did enjoy it.