Larc

ikar

Neat. But, as an aircraft person, and, at the risk of sounding stupid- What the heck are they? They look like a slightly smaller version of that vehicle with the individual motors in each wheel and a Beechcraft Staggerwing carried on its back designed for Arctic exploration. Thanks. Nick Filippone

Guest Pyrman

Nick, the LARC (Lighter, Amphibious Resupply, Cargo) vehicles were designed for moving supplies. The LARC-V have a 5-ton capacity and are still in use today with U.S. Navy Beachmaster Units One and Two and possibly with the Argentine Navy. LARC's were made in two other weight classes of 15-(LARC-XV) and 60-ton(LARC-LX). The pics are of the LARC-LX.

I believe the LARC-V was featured on an episode of the History Channel's MAIL CALL.

There are several of these, plus variants, at the Transportation Corps Museum, Ft Eustis, VA -- if the Nats were next kmonth, not "last" month, you could have run right up there & looked.

The Corps of Engineers has a couple of the smaller ones they use for in-shore survey down here.

The Fort Eustis Museum is a really nice trip. Even for those that need to stop and get a pass, it is still worth it. Last time I was there there were rumors that they were going to try and fix it that you could get to the museum without having to get a pass. I wanted to actually go and check it out while at the NATS but it wasn't in the cards.

Mark

The Fort Eustis Museum is a really nice trip. Even for those that need to stop and get a pass, it is still worth it. Last time I was there there were rumors that they were going to try and fix it that you could get to the museum without having to get a pass. I wanted to actually go and check it out while at the NATS but it wasn't in the cards.

Mark

Doubt that will happen, it's just a bit too far in -- besides the next concern is how much moves to Ft Lee when since the Trans School & etc has been BRAC'd off Eustis ... similar to Ordnance School & Museum from APG ...

Yeah,

I can't wait for APG to move to Lee. Another incentive to possibly move back to Virginia.

I'm unsure if all of the APG collection, or all of the Eustis collection, will move to Lee. I suspect that not all items on display belong to the museums and may go elsewhere or back to owners. There are also issues with the ability to even move the items without falling apart. Then there's the pending US Army museum to be built near Ft Belvoir which may take a slice. Then of course, there are space issues on Lee, particularily with all the schools moving there ...

Mom and Dad said the last time they were there they have cleared a LOT of space. No idea what that means. The last time I was on Lee was over 10 years ago.

John, the last I heard, everything from the Ordnance Museum goes- including the recently repainted Elefant and the railgun.

Entirely possible; I'm not in the loop on any of that, just conjecturing based on some past events ... And while the pending Museum of the US Army has much of my money, they don't consult with me on details, just ask for more ...

Personally, I'd be happy -- Ft Lee is close enough for a weekend wallow through the museums while wifey is plundering quilt shops .... And since I'm a Logistician, I'd even go barefoot so my toes could wiggle madly in delight ...

Entirely possible; I'm not in the loop on any of that, just conjecturing based on some past events ... And while the pending Museum of the US Army has much of my money, they don't consult with me on details, just ask for more ...

and that surprises you?????

Archived