What's on your "Shelf of Shame" and why?

Mark Deliduka

I got this idea from Chris, who suggested starting a thread asking how many models are on your "Shelf of Shame".

I'd like to take it a step further. I'd like to ask, "What models are on your "Shelf of Shame" and why? Many times , it is just burnout on that particular kit, or a big mistake we don't know how to fix; or even missing parts. I think posting here may help us assist each other in getting those Shameful models off that "Shelf of Shame".

Maybe we can even take that idea further: A Group Build on those models on the "Shelf of Shame" with everyone helping give ideas and/or spare parts to help all participants to clear some space on that shelf and move some of these projects to the finished shelf.

I'll be checking my "Shelf of Shame" soon to give a list. Meanwhile, anyone else who wishes to post here, feel free.

I will say that the P-39 Airacobra I finished recently was a former "Shelf of Shame" occupant. That is, until I found another kit exactly the same (sans one fuselage half) in the Distressed Kit Auction at my IPMS Club meeting in December. That kit enabled me to replace the lost propeller assembly.

Okay people, post away!

I have only NOT finished 3 models that I can recall in all my modeling years. The first was a 1/32 Revell F-4J Phantom way back in the 70's that was so warped I trashed it. The second was a 1/32 Combat vacuform P-6E biplane that I got 75% built, but the alignment was so bad (and unrepairable) that I trashed it. The 3rd one is below....

I realy only have one unfinished model, of which I'm not really ashamed. I just lost the drive to build it several years ago: a Combat vacuform 1/24 P-51B Mustang. The interior is done and the fuselage is together. The next step was to build and add the bullet-proof glass inside the windshield and that's what gave me problems, so I set it aside.

This project would have needed a LOT (and I mean a LOT) more work to get it finished, which was another mental impediment. Still, it's there on the shelf and I occasionally look it over. Someday I may get up the gumption to finish it, if only to do so before Trumpy releases theirs.

Otherwise, I generally finish what I start, warts and all, if only to move on to the next toad. :smiley20:

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

I would have none! All mine are only waiting paint and finishing. I do have a Legends Puma..... That one is waiting for two 2 1/2 sheets of photo-etch that needs to be added.

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Thanks Mark for starting this thread. I have at about 13 , "In Progress models". Seems that this problem is not small. Mark and Gil you two rock. No ,"Shelf Queens". WOW

Over on Track links they are starting a quick on line contest to see who can build the best ,"Shelf Queen". Rules are simple: has to have been sitting on your shelf for at least six months, any model, any scale. Judging for winner is same as in a regular contest. Prize is a new tank model. Now I know that we cannot give out a prize. But I do like the Idea of a group build. Might help clear out some of these unfinished models.

Chris,

See...to me a shelf queen is one that is awaiting finishing. A "shelf of shame" is one that you have basically given up on until......something comes along to make you finish it. My shelf queens are still only about six. The building to the paint and finishing stages is easy. It's the paint and finishing that makes them Queens.

Chris,

See...to me a shelf queen is one that is awaiting finishing. A "shelf of shame" is one that you have basically given up on until......something comes along to make you finish it. My shelf queens are still only about six. The building to the paint and finishing stages is easy. It's the paint and finishing that makes them Queens.

Ok Mark, that makes a lot of since. In that case I have only one ,"shelf of Shame" kit. When I was about 15 I just had to have the new Tamiya 1/32 scale F-14 Tomcat kit. Well my skills were not what they are today and I bit off way more then I should have back then. I never did complete the kit. I do still have it in my stash. I took it out a couple of month ago and said to myself that what if I could mount some tank tracks and gun turret mounts if it would make a good <TANK FIGHTER>. YA Baby!!! So if Mark does start a group build on this subject, then I am in.

Chris

Chris, you are welcome. I'm hoping it catches on more; especially since I'm always hearing everyone talking about their frustrations and such.

I'll see about starting up a new Group Build pretty soon. It might even be fun. Who knows, maybe we can get a display table at the next Nationals showing 'before' pics next to the 'after' models. :smiley17::smiley20:

Chris,

Probably the main reason I have no "Shelf Of Shame" or SOS is that when a model has given me that much trouble......I usually will strip it of any useable parts and into the garbage it goes. If my wife knew how many times in the past I did that and what the kits cost plus my time......she would probably disown me.

Chris,

Probably the main reason I have no "Shelf Of Shame" or SOS is that when a model has given me that much trouble......I usually will strip it of any useable parts and into the garbage it goes. If my wife knew how many times in the past I did that and what the kits cost plus my time......she would probably disown me.

Modelers rule #1: Never ever reveal to a spouse what a kit really cost, especially all the aftermarket stuff and special paints and glues.

Modelers rule #2: If you are tempted to reveal costs, Don"t. The word will spread on the spouse to spouse INTERNET and we will all suffer and that will be the end of the hobby.

Sworn to the secrecy of the brotherhood!

Modelers rule #1: Never ever reveal to a spouse what a kit really cost, especially all the aftermarket stuff and special paints and glues.

Modelers rule #2: If you are tempted to reveal costs, Don"t. The word will spread on the spouse to spouse INTERNET and we will all suffer and that will be the end of the hobby.

Sworn to the secrecy of the brotherhood!

AMEN Brother of the spruce!! :smiley14:

I can think of 3 kits currently residing on the metaphorical shelf of shame. First, and longest resident, a 1/48 B-29. Got it completely rescribed, and the fuselage is together, and then lost interest. Probably been there for about 3 years. Second up is a 1/48 Hasegawa FG I Phantom. Don't really know quite what happened to this one. It's still on the bench, just can't quite get the mojo going to get'er done, which is very odd since it's very close to my favorite stage, painting. And third is a 1/48 Tamyia Hetzer. A disastrous first attempt at the "hairspray" method of winter white wash doomed this one (dropping ONE track link, and needing to buy a second kit (tamiya didn't have the sprue available) didn't help my mood either!).

Mike

There are 25 models currently in the Hall of Shame. They mock me every time I go into my model room.

Get 'em ready to photo cause I think this is a great subject for the next Theme Pics.

Personally, I have one that was just Gawd awful. I thought about committing suicide after I finished it by placing it against my chest and falling on my sword/model (not really) :smiley14:. If ever there was slop in a box, this was it.

I built an old Aoshima 1/700 scale Soryu that was more flash than parts. Even with all the thick flash that had to be removed from every part (even the sprues had thick flash), NONE of the parts fit and there so much release agent on the plastic, paint wouldn't stick to it worth a darn. I finished it, but chucked in File 13. Looked awful, was awful, and as far as I know, it still is awful. :smiley11:

Thanks for the idea Duke.

Yeah, this would be a great Theme for January. Then we hold the Shelf of Shame Group Build, and in December, we can post a new Theme: Shelf of Shame Queens Finished!

It would make a great group entry at the Nats in Omaha. Have an entry for each genre; ships, planes, figures,autos, etc. with an explanation why each was so awful.

Yeah, this would be a great Theme for January. Then we hold the Shelf of Shame Group Build, and in December, we can post a new Theme: Shelf of Shame Queens Finished!

It would make a great group entry at the Nats in Omaha. Have an entry for each genre; ships, planes, figures,autos, etc. with an explanation why each was so awful.

And maybe include the 'before' pics as well. Interesting. Makes me wish I was able to attend the Omaha Nats, it would be great to enter this category.

Hey guys, I'm a long time member but kind of new at this posting stuff. I have an ICM Heinkel He-51-a on my SOS and here's the reason why. The kit goes together pretty well but because it's a bi-plane you need to the rigging. I've tried using mono-filiment fishing line with superglue and it doesn't seem to work. Anyway, I finally relegated the kit to my SOS until I get better at rigging. It is in 1/72 scale, so I'm sure that's part of the reason. However I just haven't found the right technique for rigging bi-planes. Anyone got an answer?

Thanks,

Bill Kreuger

Bill,

You might want to also ask your rigging question over at the "tips and techniques" discussion forum in the public area. You'll be more likely to get an answer over there.....:)

Well, if I only had ONE shelf, I would be happy... :smiley11:

At last count I was well over 35 kits in all forms of assembly. They end up there for many reasons, but most seem to be at the "bottleneck" that is my airbrush space. I have a stack of ~10 sitting there waiting to be painted in some form. The rest are in boxes around my workspace. Some are waiting for some masking, while others are more or less "just getting started".

Last year I did make a commitment to finish some projects up before I started any new ones.... Let's see how 2011 goes... :smiley2:

I have 1 maybe 2 that fall into this category. I have a 1/12 '72 Mustang that I couldn't finish as I never could get the paint to lay down properly...orange peel problems, and I have a 1/72 Bell XFM-1 Aerocuda vacuform that I haven't gotten past the backing removal stage.

Hey guys, I'm a long time member but kind of new at this posting stuff. I have an ICM Heinkel He-51-a on my SOS and here's the reason why. The kit goes together pretty well but because it's a bi-plane you need to the rigging. I've tried using mono-filiment fishing line with superglue and it doesn't seem to work. Anyway, I finally relegated the kit to my SOS until I get better at rigging. It is in 1/72 scale, so I'm sure that's part of the reason. However I just haven't found the right technique for rigging bi-planes. Anyone got an answer?

Thanks,

Bill Kreuger

I've been rather happy using guitar string for rigging 1/72 biplanes. It is nice stiff steel wire, just cut to length and super glue or epoxy into place (I prefer epoxy due to the longer working time). A superlight E string is .008" wire, and costs $2 or so, less if you buy in bulk. In scale it works out to be around 1/2" which I have been told is about right for the support wires of most biplanes.

• 2 weeks later...

At some time in the 1990's I started a list of the models I was building that I wanted to enter in the IPMS/USA Nationals. I don't recall how many I had on that list then, but there are 70 items listed now on the 2011 list, all of which have had some work done on them. Twelve on the list are completed, and I count a diorama as a single completion regardless of the number of sub-parts I have to build. I suppose I have to count the entire list of 58 incomplete model projects as Shelf of Shame residents. I am only working from this list and trying not to start another new item from a freshly opened box (but I still keep buying new kits). Some of the longest occupants of the SOS are kits I originally started in the 1950's and 1960's as a kid and young adult. Now I am an old adult, and they still are not done.

Ed