ALIEN M41-A PULSE RIFLE PROP REPRO

papasmurf

I ordered a fairly "rough" version, cast in solid resin, of the famous Pulse Rifle from the film "Aliens". I do the "Mystery Shopper" bit once in a while, to see "what's out there". Also, I don't have time to build for myself much these days. After months of waiting, and some pretty poor excuses from the seller, it finally arrived, minus the digital counter kit. After a few more weeks of "Cyber Terrorism", I duly inflicted, I finally got that too. It was plainly painted, had some fit and warp issues, but it was something to work with. I had considered ordering the extrtemely "pricey" version that sells for about a grand, but my Wife would have "Terminated" me, so no go. "Aliens" is one of my favorite films, "Alien" was awesome, but this second film was more exciting in my opinion. The Marines weapon, the "M41-A Pulse Rifle" is an iconic SF weapon. It's still extremely sought after, "Monsters in Motion" sells one, for the very outrageous price of 3,000.00. OUCH!! My Wallet Hurts!!

London Prop Store sells them for about the price of a decent car. Jeez.....:smiley19:

So I had this "Basic and Rudimentary" block of a prop reproduction, and I got to work on it over one weekend. Color was off, so I redid that, Barrels were not bored, bring out the big bits son... The digital counter was a raw board, and the prop version had a "smoked glass" lens on it. I whipped one of those up by epoxying some car window tinting film, onto a pre-cut piece of clear styrene, not bad. Now, it was time for weathering effects. Using a sponge, a little one, and some different brushes, I added some "Bare Metal" stress marks, all per an image of the original screen-used prop.

Now it's not "perfect" The rear stock was a bit deviated, but I whittled that to some kind of linear shape. A lot of other little things were missing too, like a trigger for the forward shotgun section. Some Bolt details on the main body, but in time I got a pretty decent version for under 400.00. The only thing that still bugs me, it's that I don't have the equipment to bore out all the air cooling fins and holes. However, from a "Prop" perspective, this would have been a great "Stunt" version, and looks quite realistic on film.

I'll let you be the judge, but do consider the price, versus the other versions, not bad for a few bucks. :smiley20:

PULSECOMPB.347170433_large.jpg

Edited by papasmurf