the unpainted zim

GLW

What color is unpainted "as applied" zimmerit? Concrete grayish brown? Plaster of Paris? What? The world wants to know = no wait, that's Halsey....

thanks guys

G.L.

Zimmerit was made from the following:

40% Barium Sulfate (a white crystalline material)

25% Polyvinyl acetate (think yellow wood glue)

15% Ochre pigment (yellowish)

10% Zinc Sulfate (a whitish-yellowish compound)

10% sawdust (wood color, which would tend to the yellowish spectrum)

It seems that it would be an ochre or yellow-tanish color. I'm experimenting with Elmer's Wood Filler in the Natural color for my Zimmerit. So far, so good....

Remember that if it was factory-applied, the metal would be primed with red oxide before the zimmerit was applied. I imagine that field-applied zimmerit was done over the Dunkelgelb/camo base....

Ralph

The zimm that I saw on the Stug III in the WTS Museum in Koblenz, Germany back in '99 looked a light greyish colour. But I don't know if it was original or a reproduction.

You guys rock! Ralph. how in the hel did you get the formula for that? Thanks a bunch, I've got a yellowish brown/gray on there (battle damage) to show it vs. the painted zim vs. bare metal. I've found that adding a little damage to the hull of a taimya 1/48 kit is easy. It's metal, a quick pop with the dremel tool....battle damage. I wonder what hitting from 10-15 yds with a .177 cal. pellet gun would do???? :smiley32: Next time maybe, this ones too close to being done to screw around with that now.

thanks again guys

G.L.

Edited by GLW