Two recent Indian busts

ajlafleche

Here is my interpretation of Young Miniatures’ 1/10 Blackfoot Raven Bearer bust as sculpted by Carl Reid. He is painted in acrylics and posed on a buckeye burl base from John Jeffries. The raven was first painted purple then given washes of black to retain some iridescence. The pictographs on the buffalo robe are patterned after some examples from my references. His face paint is based on a painting of Mehkskehme-Sukahs, a Blackfoot chief, by Karl Bodmer who travelled among the people of the northern plains in the 1830’s and did many portraits of them.

Enjoy.

bodmer.jpg

Bodmer’s painting

DSCF8220.jpg

DSCF8221.jpg

DSCF8222.jpg

DSCF8215.jpg

DSCF8214.jpg

DSCF8213.jpg

DSCF8212.jpg

DSCF8204.jpg

Here is my interpretation of Young Miniatures’ 1/10 Sioux bust as sculpted by Carl Reid. He is painted in acrylics and posed on a buckeye burl base from John Jeffries. I used a hawk feather I found in a park as the pattern for his feathers.

Enjoy.

DSCF8190.jpg

DSCF8168.jpg

DSCF8163.jpg

DSCF8162.jpg

DSCF8159.jpg

DSCF8157.jpg

DSCF8155.jpg

DSCF8154.jpg

DSCF8147.jpg

DSCF8144.jpg

Beautiful and intricate work on both! I find it interesting that both scultpures use such sad countenances, as if they'd seen the future and what it held for their tribes. You painting really brings that emotion to light. Congrats!

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I wish I could paint figures like that. Truly amazing work. Thanks for posting them.

Incredible work! The Shaman's face reminds me of the old "don't pollute" commercial with the Indian crying. Wonderful job!