Spray Booth Design/help...

Wulf

I would like to make my own spray booth and need a starting point. Any simple designs or ideas??

Thanks,

Andy

It doesn't get any simpler than a cardboard box with generic fan and filter. . . As you upgrade from the cardboard you gain the ability to mount lights and improve the fan/filter action as well as directing the fumes and adding secondary filters. I "Googled" Hobby Paint Booth and got 60700 hits with potential plans and ideas. Remember that with the electrical elements you gain safety issues. Good luck.

Mike

I built mine 9 or 10 yrs ago out of plywood. I use 3/8 plywood for mine. Might opt for 1/2" on the top the next time......if not 3/4 for the whole thing. Installed a 6", 230ish CFM axial fan (like a computer fan). I mounted 3 florescent light fixtures on the inside and some left over u-channel for holding the filter. I mount and power strip on the the outside where all the lights and fans plug into, so with a flick of the power strip switch everything comes on. It moves a lot of air.

If I were to build again, I would put the fan on the back wall, or on the floor of the booth.

wb-booth-1.jpg

wb-booth-2.jpg

Going back to Mike's comments on a cardboard box and a fan, check out my simple spray booth.

Simple Spray Booth

It works well for me although I keep looking at the Pace booths. My problem is that I don't want to cut a hole in my basement wall.

Going back to Mike's comments on a cardboard box and a fan, check out my simple spray booth.

Simple Spray Booth

It works well for me although I keep looking at the Pace booths. My problem is that I don't want to cut a hole in my basement wall.

I can't recommend the Pace booth's highly enough. I tied my venting into our dryer venting with a simple T junction with flow selector.

http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/t...3&CurPage=1

I built mine from the info on this web-site. This was my 3rd attempt and I am finally satisfied with my spray booth.

Andy

I used same site but not because Andy & I are in same club, just by accident -- the info is great and I highly recommend it.

Get a decent pole blower and rig for down draft. I built a plenum into mine, put a cheap filter in that and a dog guard grate above it -- all vented direct outside. The booth is large because the whole bottom is paint storage. With sides and a top, it keeps paint inside the booth and smells out of the house ...

If you use anything other than acrlycs and water then don't go the bathroom fan route ... get a good one -- remember regardless of the fan cost, it's in your house ...

I built mine 9 or 10 yrs ago out of plywood. I use 3/8 plywood for mine. Might opt for 1/2" on the top the next time......if not 3/4 for the whole thing. Installed a 6", 230ish CFM axial fan (like a computer fan). I mounted 3 florescent light fixtures on the inside and some left over u-channel for holding the filter. I mount and power strip on the the outside where all the lights and fans plug into, so with a flick of the power strip switch everything comes on. It moves a lot of air.

If I were to build again, I would put the fan on the back wall, or on the floor of the booth.

wb-booth-1.jpg

Jim,

Your booth is almost exactly like the one I built using plans in an old FSM. The differences are that I used a Dayton blower on the top and I put white plexi inside to brighten up the flourescent lighting (same light fixtures btw) .

I also installed a Surge protector power strip on the right side outside opening to plug everything into. This way I only need to plug in one main power cord. I also installed an airbrush hanger below the power strip so I have a place to put the brush down.

Cheers,

Max Bryant

Jim,

Your booth is almost exactly like the one I built using plans in an old FSM. The differences are that I used a Dayton blower on the top and I put white plexi inside to brighten up the flourescent lighting (same light fixtures btw) .

I also installed a Surge protector power strip on the right side outside opening to plug everything into. This way I only need to plug in one main power cord. I also installed an airbrush hanger below the power strip so I have a place to put the brush down.

Cheers,

Max Bryant

Yep, my airbrush holder can barely be seen on the right as well. I also installed two vinyl coated hooks on the outside of the right panel to hang my other airbrush off of. My power strip is on the left side outer panel.

Here's my spraybooth - it was made with portability and storage in mind. The top 'plate' is removed by two wing nuts for replacing the two filters. The styrene front and side doors are on piano hinges and close things for easy storage. Two muffin fans push air through the window vent - I shoot enamels and lacquers almost exclusively and it's never once burped.

100_1907.jpg