Where to Start

Tom67

Not sure this is the proper forum for this question, so please excuse my lack of "Forum Etiquette" if I am posting in the wrong place.

Having said that, I am searching for any suggestions as to where I should begin in my return to modelling. My current interests are in the military aspect of modeling, anything 20th century. While I understand my first few efforts will not be display worthy, I do wish to take my project from beginning to end. That is, no matter what the result, I hope to practice as many techniques as possible. I also hope to achieve some level of realism by the time I finish the project.

Can anyone think of a good jumping off point for me ? I do have a couple of kits that I bought a few years back, when I first entertained the thought of returning to our hobby, and never had the opportunity to build. I have a Tamiya Willys Jeep 1/35th, an Apache helicopter (Revell, 1/72 ?), and a couple of figure kits.

My goal is to be building by the first of the year. I am moving next week and am claiming my own space for my modelling. It will be small, but it will be mine :smiley20: .

Oh, one other thing. I do not own an airbrush. Is this going to be a hinderance in my ability to create high quality models ?

Start with the Jeep! Fewer seams to worry about than on the chopper, one basic color with a wash will do it, and its small once completed leaving plenty or room for the next project.

Hi Tom! You have some sage advice from the guys above about where to start, so I'd like to address your last question about the airbrush.

1) No- not having an air brush will NOT keep you from building nice models and enjoying the hobby. As Ron pointed out above, rattle (spray) cans and good quality painting with a brush can go a long way; especially as you get back into the hobby and resharpen your skills. The airbrush is simply a tool that allows you to do some things that are difficult or impossible to do without it.

2) Yes- IF (and that is IF) your goal is to put paint finishes on your models like you see from a lot of the folks on this forum, then you WILL eventually need an airbrush (eventually). It allows you to do soft edge camo, intricate splotchy camo jobs, and allows you to put the thinnest and most even finish on your models. It's an investment in money and time, that with practice, will allow you to build models that you MAY derive more satisfaction from. It can also be a frustrating teacher and task-master-until you learn to use it!

My advice is to follow the advice above and start simply. Get a few models under your belt. Get a feel for what you like to build and how you like to build. Do NOT feel pressured by the models you see on the forums! We all have varying skill levels and varying amounts of experience. It will take you a while to develope both of those, so cut yourself some slack, build models, and do it in the way that gives you the most FUN!

We'll be here to help you along the way if and when you want it! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Tom,

Tell you what.... I'll work on my 1/35th jeep along with you....I'm not using an airbrush at all on this one. I've already shot it with a rattle can for the basic OD color and am going back and giving it some accents and wash with acrylic paint.

Doesn't matter what the finished product looks like....this is for experience and preactice so let it rip!

Hi, Tom,

Every one of us has a "first model" somewhere in our hobby history. It may have been completed only yesterday, or it is a kit built in the middle years of the previous century. When we started, we did not know what our eventual areas of special interests would become, so we tried many subjects before realizing what best suited our blend of skills, knowledge of subject matter, and of course, discretionary spending money. Tools will become added to your workbench as you find you need them. You need not invest in tools that are too exotic or apply only to subjects that you find you lack interest in. Welcome into a new lifetime hobby or, if you prefer, hobby of a lifetime.

Ed

Tom,

The jeep is the the best place to start. Maybe you can fall deep enough into the TreadHead fold that you won't even care to do the Apache. Both of the Tamiya jeeps are great kits. Easy simple and usually no issues. Depending on the paints you are using, you can get away with out an airbrush. Also, as small as the jeep is, flaws will be less noticeable. Keep us informed and post pictures of your progress!!!!

TreadHeads UNITE!!!!!

Mark

When you get your skills honed and the planes and armor bore you, you can advance up to building ships. :D I might add that you can also join your nearest IPMS Club. There'll be lots of help for you there from the members. :smiley20:

Thanks for all of the advice, looks like it will be the jeep first. Maybe I will be brave enough to post some pics. It would be nice to receive some more advice and have critiques done by the vets around here. Oh, and Les, your comment about "moving up to ships was very funny. It also triggered another thought/question. I am interested in all types of military modelling, but would it be best fro me to stick with one class, i.e armor, aircraft, etc..., until I am comfortable with it (trying to avoid the phrase "master it" here) because I had planned to switch between all types on a regular basis.

Good on ya! Don't feel obligated to do any particular type of subject. I'm all over tha map on that. My only recommendation is to start with something small & relatively simple (like that Jeep). Get that one done and see what you get jazzed about next, maybe by reading a book, watching a movie, or hearing a war story from a vet in your family. And a dirty little secret: The cars and figures are fun, too, especially if you want to try something colorful. I'm currently building my first ever wood sailing ship model, having picked a more basic kit for starters. The learning curve is steep, but fun. Great project, no deadlines, nobody else's requirements.

It's all good!

Bob brings up a good point! All model building is uniquelly interrelated. Some of the best tricks and applications I have learned from aircraft and car model builders. All I usually build is tanks, but the advice I have received working on my F-4U from the airplane builders has been great.