Build of the old Tamiya 1/48 Ki-84 'Frank'

AZKevin

This is the late 70's or early 80's (?) Tamiya 1/48 release of the Ki-84.

There were no significanrt fit issues, edtail was quite nice for its age, and it was an enjoyable build.

I used Tamiya acrylics, fuselage stripe and wing leading edge I.D. bands are painted otherwise I used the kit decals.

My only 'additions' were thin wire for the brake lines, steel hypo tube for the guns, and Aeroclub thread for the antenna.

Again, I'll add a few more 'close-up' photos as I take them.

Ki-84002.jpg?t=1292032111

Ki-84001.jpg?t=1292031937

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the comments. I'm still learning/practicing how to weather an airplane. I doubt very much that most Japanese airplanes stayed 'showroom new' for many long.

By the way, I really like your Typhoon - great looking airplane - I like the Tempest too.

Very nice build! The K-84 is a good looking aircraft, one of Japan's best. Happy Holidays,

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333

:smiley20: Hey Gil,

Thanks for the vote of confidence,

I plan on a flat coat it as soon as my 'practicing weathering' yeilds acceptable (to me) results! Still learning how to weather using an old Revell zero kit (you know the one with no wheel wells?) and there has been progress, but still working to get it to look 'natural'. For example 'How far back from the exhausts to take the exghaust staining'. Anyway, It's been interesting learning to use pastel powders. silver pencil, and a little paint. Of course I'm also learning, the hard way, how not to overdo it.

Best wishes,

Kevin

That's a fine looking Frank! Tamiya made nice kits even way back then. Are you going to levae it glossy, or hit it with a flat coat? Congrats on another nice build!

GIL :smiley16: