Another New Guy

Tom67

Hey everyone, just getting back into scale modeling after many many years away from the hobby. I would label myself a beginner with little experience at this point, though I built hundreds as a kid. I feel fairly comfortable with the building aspect, it's the painting and weathering that is going to be a challenge for me, and I have a great deal to learn. I have no doubt that this will be a great place to learn from those more experienced than myself. I joined IPMS/USA, and will be looking into joining my local chapter. We also have several very nice model/hobby shops right here in SouthEast Michigan that I can visit for tips and advice.

I have such a broad interest in military history, my first task will be to narrow down the field somewhat and actually get started. I encourage any suggestions. Well thanks for showing interest in this "noobie".

Tom,

You are really not a "noobie". You are just like the rest of us. Modeled as a kid, leave the hobby for Military, kids, etc. and then return. See you are just normal. Welcome back. The hobby is doing great and so is IPMS. Ask lots of questions and look over others work. That is the best way to learn. Welcome aboard!!

Chris

Welcome Tom. Although I never really left the Hobby, I know what you're talking about, Sometimes I also have difficulty learning a few new things. and usually have a tough time weathering myself. This is one of the best places to learn. You'll fit in well.

Welcome back to the hobby Tom. I am sure that you will find some good people in the SE Michigan area. There are good groups in Livonia and in Warren. If you get over the the Kalamazoo area look us up.

Hello Tom! I thought I detected the minty fresh smell of a newbie on the forum! :smiley2: Glad you started modeling again and that you're here on the forums with us.

As for a suggestion to narrow down what to build.....how about starting with a piece of nostalgia? Find and build one of your favorite models you built way back when. In any case, always remember rule #1...

RULE #1: HAVE FUN!!

Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Welcome aboard, Tom. You have a broad range of interests and that is good. It will serve you well. We have a tremendous wealth of great builders here at IPMS, and I am personally grateful to know them. They have enriched this hobby beyond my expectations. The talent they exhibit is truly exceptional. I owe all of them my deepest gratitude. Let us know what you're working on and hopefully we can help you. Happy Holidays,

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333