hello, my friends, questions

guaguachong

have not been here for a while due to all these heavy work.

i just past my last theory test today and almost done. happy.

i am about to return to modeling :)

got some questions: what kind of color you guys usually use in USA? you know in asia countries we use Gunze Sanyang painting color very much. but i can hard find them here.

the thing is for Gunze series, they have groups of colors for certain country and certain planes which make modeling and painting much easier i think, i do not know if any companies here have the similar series of colors.

thank you very much. happy new year. :)

Edited by guaguachong

Hi Ying, I came back into the hobby using acrylics (Tamiya and Vallejo Model Air), but have started switching over to solvent based paints for a number of reasons. If you want acrylics, Vallejo Model Air has paint sets grouped on type and country and are available from most retailers in the US. Like I said I have started switching over to solvent based paints, specifically Gunze Sangyo Mr. Color and as you said, they also have sets based on type and country. Sprue Brothers Models has an excellent selection of Gunze Sangyo paints.

David

I've tried acrylic paints a couple of times with no luck. I only use them for brush painting details.

Since I paint in the garage, and fumes are not an issue, I use enamels and lacquers. I use mainly Model Master, Testors, and Floquil, and I also have few tins of Humbrol. For NMF I mainly use Alclad II; but I also use SNJ (with and without the powder) and Metalizer metallics in spots. Heck, I even have some "home brew" silver I made following Phil Hale's formula.

I use lacquer thinner almost exclusively for all thinning, especially for airbrushing; although I do have some Model Master thinner I use to thin paint IN their bottles. I'll use Testors Gloss Coat on camo projects and use Future acrylic to gloss light/white scheme models. Testors Dull Coat is the clear flat for me!

I find the main advantage to using Model Master/Testors is that they're readily available in a most of places you can buy kits! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Hi Ying, I came back into the hobby using acrylics (Tamiya and Vallejo Model Air), but have started switching over to solvent based paints for a number of reasons. If you want acrylics, Vallejo Model Air has paint sets grouped on type and country and are available from most retailers in the US. Like I said I have started switching over to solvent based paints, specifically Gunze Sangyo Mr. Color and as you said, they also have sets based on type and country. Sprue Brothers Models has an excellent selection of Gunze Sangyo paints.

David

thank you, David. i have been using tamiya acrylics for a while, the problem is that i always have to mix different colors to make the color i need and i am not sure if i could do it right or not. frequently, it will show some kind of deviation from the right color, although may not very serious. and Gunze paintings seems not have the same problem. dose spru brothers models have online selling? i could buy from ebay but i will cost aroun 4 or 5 dollors each for 10 ml. i am not sure if the price is good because in China it is cheaper

I've tried acrylic paints a couple of times with no luck. I only use them for brush painting details.

Since I paint in the garage, and fumes are not an issue, I use enamels and lacquers. I use mainly Model Master, Testors, and Floquil, and I also have few tins of Humbrol. For NMF I mainly use Alclad II; but I also use SNJ (with and without the powder) and Metalizer metallics in spots. Heck, I even have some "home brew" silver I made following Phil Hale's formula.

I use lacquer thinner almost exclusively for all thinning, especially for airbrushing; although I do have some Model Master thinner I use to thin paint IN their bottles. I'll use Testors Gloss Coat on camo projects and use Future acrylic to gloss light/white scheme models. Testors Dull Coat is the clear flat for me!

I find the main advantage to using Model Master/Testors is that they're readily available in a most of places you can buy kits! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil, you mentioned some many colors and i am pretty sure that what you guys use most here. unfortunately i am not familiar with them which bothers me a lot. maybe i need join some meeting to get know here more. :)

i am about to graduate and find a job. hopefully i can find some free time. :)

thank you for your information. you are very nice.

Ni Hao! I generally paint with Model Master enamels thinned with Model Master thinner.

Zai Jian.

does model master has specific color series for special country or planes? like 3 colors for painting supermarine spitfire in british war.

i love spitfire but tamiya color makes me concern :)

for example, the tamiya XF71(maybe wrong number) for Japanese navy fighter cockpit is so strange and i never saw anybody paint with that color. i am pretty sure it is wrong.

thank you, David. i have been using tamiya acrylics for a while, the problem is that i always have to mix different colors to make the color i need and i am not sure if i could do it right or not. frequently, it will show some kind of deviation from the right color, although may not very serious. and Gunze paintings seems not have the same problem. dose spru brothers models have online selling? i could buy from ebay but i will cost aroun 4 or 5 dollors each for 10 ml. i am not sure if the price is good because in China it is cheaper

Yes, Sprue Brothers is an online retailer. Not sure if we're allowed to link to other sites on this forum, but you can search on their name and locate them. I think their price is around $3 for a 10ml bottle.

David

does model master has specific color series for special country or planes? like 3 colors for painting supermarine spitfire in british war.

i love spitfire but tamiya color makes me concern :)

for example, the tamiya XF71(maybe wrong number) for Japanese navy fighter cockpit is so strange and i never saw anybody paint with that color. i am pretty sure it is wrong.

Ying,

Yes, one of the big advantages of Model Master Enamels is that they have paints specifically formulated to many of the colors needed to paint WWII or modern aircraft or armor. There is no mixing paint colors necessary in most cases.