Open Sci-if & Fantasy Discussion Thread

papasmurf

Strange how a handful of movie scenes stick with you out of the thousands weve seen. One that has always stayed with me is in the beginning of 2010 where Roy Scheider and Dana Elcar have their little verbal sparring match. Two great actors enjoying their craft. Both gone now. . . :smiley13:

Mike

Aaaaah yes, the little "Cold War" aspect of the film, shown early on, great stuff Mike! :smiley20:

d_elcar.jpg

I always like that one. I just recorded the soundtrack to a CD the other day.

The soundtrack to the film, "The Fifth Element" by Eric Sierra, is pretty awesome too! :smiley17:

fifthele.jpg

I'll have to check that one out.

Where are you?

............RIGHT BEHIND YOU HA!!! :ph34r:

Actually in Daytona Beach Florida, Beachside. Just ordered the sound track to "Strange Days", with Ralph Fiennes, there's a Peter Gabriel, with Deep Forest, tune on there, that is really something "else".

Music plays constantly in the Studio, I have an I Pod with 80 Gigs of music, and it's full......... :smiley22:

I have a client who is "almost to the top" at Warner Music Group, and he sends me music constantly, over 6000 CDS in stock, at this time, love the stuff!!

I build to live, but I live for the Music..........Dude!! :smiley16:

I'm south of you. Just outside of Orlando. 6,000 cds? I'd love to see your collection. I'm in the process of transferring all my tapes over to CDs.

I'm just finishing up the cassettes, and next the 8 tracks that have never been re-released. After that the biggest part...over 100 reels. That should take several hundred cds.

I'm south of you. Just outside of Orlando. 6,000 cds? I'd love to see your collection. I'm in the process of transferring all my tapes over to CDs.

I'm just finishing up the cassettes, and next the 8 tracks that have never been re-released. After that the biggest part...over 100 reels. That should take several hundred cds.

God, Reel to Reels, had TDK ones for years, all gone to cd/dvd now, watch them invent a new format soon, back to the stone age, all over again!

Collections spread out in 2 homes, too many!! Need more room for prop and models collection, and studio space, so were adding on to the main house.

8 tracks! I think I remember those.............. :smiley24:

Thanks, you make me feel so much younger.

I have a AKAI 7 1/2 -10in reel, a receiver with a 8 track and a spare 8 deck that I will be using this last time.

I remember when I finally could afford a tape deck, and ater a cassette adapter, for my car I got out my drill and put the necessary holes into the metal dashboard, mounted the unit and spliced the wires into the electrical system of my car. I had to cut holes into the rear deck for the speakers and run the wires along the seats into the trunk.

That was worse then when we had to drillholes into the floor boards to mount seatbelts we got from Sears.

Thanks, you make me feel so much younger.

I have a AKAI 7 1/2 -10in reel, a receiver with a 8 track and a spare 8 deck that I will be using this last time.

I remember when I finally could afford a tape deck, and ater a cassette adapter, for my car I got out my drill and put the necessary holes into the metal dashboard, mounted the unit and spliced the wires into the electrical system of my car. I had to cut holes into the rear deck for the speakers and run the wires along the seats into the trunk.

That was worse then when we had to drillholes into the floor boards to mount seatbelts we got from Sears.

Sorry, not my intention, just making a little, (very little) joke. I remember using L brackets, to rig up a cassette player, in my old Dodge Dart, with a metal dash, fun times! :smiley13:

As a high school student in 1957, I invested $200 (a small fortune for a kid) in a Crown Imperial 10" reel-to-reel mono professional grade tape recorder. To get music and, much more importantly, radio episodes of "X minus One" every week onto tape, I used clip leads from the solder terminals on the back of a radio speaker and jacked the other end of the cord into the phono input on the recorder (no static or background noises because a microphone was not used). 50 years later I still have that recorder, and IT WORKS! The vacuum tubes have not died over the decades. It will still play those old recordings with great sound when the 16-ohm speaker outlet is run to an old good-quality speaker using the clip leads again. I had to replace the power cord (try finding a non-grounded two-prong female end extension cord today) because the old rubber turned brittle and literally cracked apart. I still enjoy those old 30-minute "X minus One" stories. And yes, I know they are all available now on cassettes and cd's, making my old originals more than obsolete. I still have my old tape splicer to fix the tape breaks when they occur. :smiley23:

Sci-fi on the radio required creativity in writing, acting, sound effects, and music transitions. For the avid listener, the mental images are as strong as any TV or movie visuals. Happy listening! :smiley14:

Ed

Very clever Ed! I did the "microphone" thing, adding a piece of foam, over the rather poor quality mike's of the mid 60's, and placing them near the speaker (mono), of the radio. Had a TDK cassette player, HUGE thing, but quite "modern" for the time, as my Pop was selling the latest, in Audio-Visual gear, at the time. Introduced me to technology, most people didn't see for another 5 years, ahead of schedule.

Hence, my fascination with technology got an early start! Recorded shows, and Pop music of the time. Used to make our own recorded "shows", with a friend, using Disney's "Haunted House" sound effects album, as special effects background, to tell "scary" stories.

Good times! :smiley17:

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my issue of the latest IPMS Journal, my my, some seriously nice work at the show!! Congrats to the winners, and the SF work was "top-notch"! Loved the first place winner, unique design there! :smiley17:

The Armor work was stupendous, and the big Planes were beautiful! :smiley27:

Well done fellow members!!! :smiley20:

For those of you wondering what to get for that "little" SF fan, or even yourself, for Christmas, check out the link provided, to my U-Tube post on the TOMI Isobot, amazing toy!!!

At 150.00 bucks, from hammacher.com, it's the most fantastic toy I've aquired in many years!!! :smiley17:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyNG410hsHU

You really won't believe what this 6 inch bot can do!!! :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

"P.S.S....Tricia Helfer is so far beyond hot she's thermonuclear."

Agreed, she's really "sumthin' Else"! :smiley27::smiley27:

This "Paul" guy is either lucky, or stood in line for days!!

Tricia-Helfer.jpg

There are incredibly "Hot" images of her, on Google images, if you type in her name. I really don't want to go past the "PG" point here, but you adults feel free to check that out for yourselves!! :smiley29:

• 2 weeks later...

Although I am thrilled at the results of the "Guess which SF film" Game's popularity, I really wanted to see more SF & Fantasy Modeling work images, posted in the SF & Fantasy section.

Most of the modeling work I do for clients, is directly connected to Movies and Television shows, so the connection to media productions is quite obvious, and very welcome. But please, do post your current SF, and Fantasy projects, finished or in production, to add some more variety to this section of the IPMS Forum.

It's just a suggestion to keep to the main theme of this site, the craft of model making, as well as the associated interests, like the game.

I'd like to see as many posts on that, as guesses on our popular game, which is almost the #1 most replied, visited, viewed, whatever... thread, on the Forum, quite amazing actually.

So you SF and Fantasy model builders, start posting some of your work!! A more balanced content is my goal, but your input is required, just a happy thought from your humble moderator. :smiley20: