Open Sci-if & Fantasy Discussion Thread

papasmurf

I've noticed a few of the fellas, playing the "Guess which SF Film" Game, really like to bring up facts and trivia on the films being guessed on, or not, so I had a thought....yes, unusual to say the least!! :smiley22:

I'm not sure if this will take off or not, but it's a way to keep the game on track, fast and steady, and give the IPMS SF crowd, a place to talk about any film, genre, SF or Fantasy Kit, whatever..........! :smiley20:

You can add a new topic, continue on the line were on, very "free-flowing" is my basic concept here.

I'll start off the discussion with a topic I'm kinda' interested in...the last "Battlestar Galactica" episode, they found Earth. And not to spoil it for anyone who missed it, what are your thoughts on what they found? I'm rather curious. And being one of the last "decent" SF TV shows on, not in reruns, I'd start it off with that... :smiley31:

You can go in a different direction entirely, or express your common interest, on this topic, if you wish...easy, simple, and hopefully fun! :smiley9:

Let's see how it goes, if it's a "Bomb"....I'll detonate it and move on............. :excl::blink::excl:

battlestar_galactica_630px.jpg

mushroom-cloud1.jpg

Images are welcome, but keep them to smaller file sizes, or Bob, the "Cylon Agent among us", will get upset with me, and possibly "Terminate" my little blue butt!! :unsure:

Go For it!!! :lol:

I'm just kiddin' Bob, jeez......no biggie...........(watch him!)

review_bg12_1a.jpg

"It's a Joke Son, A Joke,...." Foghorn Leghorn 1968

FoghornLeghorn.png

Sssshh...pretend like "all is cool"........... :unsure::unsure::ph34r::blink:

For those of us who read sci-fi in addition to watching it on a screen, we'll recall that the late, lamented, masterful Isaac Asimov included a quest to find Earth in Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth. All traces of the Earth of human origin had been lost in any archives or libraries in the galaxy and clues existed only in ancient fables and legends. What the searchers eventually found was an Earth that had suffered a sort-of similar fate as the Earth found by the Galacticans and Cylons. Is is also a BSG coincidence that human-form robots, "skin jobs" as the Galacticans call them, existed before, during, and after Asimov's original Foundation trilogy was published 50 years ago? I'm finding it hard to wait a full year between BSG seasons--look for it again sometime (?) in 2009 to finish up the story.

Ed

WOW! Much more "first response" quality, than anticipated!! Indeed, "Hari Seldon's" time configuration predictions, or the "Cult of Seldonism", in the "Foundation's Edge" series of books by Asimov, was quite amazing!!

And yes, there are definitely parallels, in the story-line, on BSG!

Actually, never looked at this from this perspective, interesting.................... :smiley15: !!

You were among the "fellas", I spoke of, on the "Guess which ..", thread, I was thinking of for this section.........

I read that decades ago, nice first post, thank you ewahl!! :smiley20:

As more of an avid reader than a real movie goer, It was the Foundation Trilogy that hooked me into science fiction. I was apprehensive when the sequels and prequels started appearing but in the end only helped convince me of the amazing genius of Issac Asimov.

Mike

Indeed!!! The "I Robot" film, paled in comparison, with the extreme complexity of his written work! Keep it going guys, plenty to discuss on this one topic alone!! :smiley20:

Isaac%20Asimov.jpg

Oh! This is also a "tangent" thread, to the "Guess which SF Film" thread. Any discussion, which was sort of "touched on", during the game, can be continued here as well! :smiley20:

I just want the game to have a good, steady pace, but there was a lot brought up during the course of the last few rounds, which we could all explore, in much more detail! :smiley16:

Just wanted to add that, so you all get the "drift" of this thread, were on Isaac Asimov right now, but let your thoughts fly a bit, and see all the possible connections to the subject matter. :o

I'll check in periodically to see where it's heading, hope you enjoy this little addition to our SF and Fantasy section! :D

I really miss Isaac...

and the I, Robot film was initially 'modeled' after a different story and only got the name after their rights were transferred...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Robot_(film)

Eric

Indeed!!! The "I Robot" film, paled in comparison, with the extreme complexity of his written work! Keep it going guys, plenty to discuss on this one topic alone!! :smiley20:

Great trivia Eric, I wasn't aware about any of this "behind the scenes" stuff, nice post, THANKS!! :smiley20:

Agreed! Not the "Brainiest Post Of the Day" award winner, but undeniable!! :smiley27::smiley27::smiley27:

This is A "TAME" image found on Google, decorum prevents me from posting anything "racier",Wow! :smiley29:

0000035023_20061021050352.jpg

Pohl is an amazing talent!! I remember a very bizzare story, from a collection of his works, in which he wrote about God, being this huge "Alienesque" eyeball, so disturbing!!

Nah, it's cool Mike, this thread is meant to be a bit "Gonzo", and unpredictable, nice tangent post!!! :smiley20:

As "Prince" in his classic album, "Purple Rain" album, stated,......"Go Crazy"!!!! :smiley17:

purple_rain.jpg

See what I mean? From Isaac, to....well.....Whatever "he" calls himself nowadays......"free flowing"............... :smiley17: !!

*actually an expedited method to get me to 400 posts......SSsshhh...........don't "spill the beans"........"Mum's the word"...... and all.............. :smiley15:

Cool isn't it??? :smiley15:

*Ok, objective reached, everybody just act like "all is cool"...good....thanks..... :smiley20:

MMM...probably a good idea...those big Purple Elephants, wearing Nike sneakers, flying around the Studio, are starting to freak me out Dude!! :smiley22::excl:

On the subject of guesses. . . 1400 possible films. . . Doomsday senario. . .1396 films. . . A hit. . . 1385 films. . . 1/3 of guesses gone already. . . chances of success using 2/3 of guesses at this point. . . Priceless! More guesses? Add a guess per clue? Add a guess per day? (I like that one. Even playing field and not out of guesses when the good clues come. . .) :smiley19: Please provide cheese and crackers with the whine. . . :smiley30:

Mike

You forget to add "Tiny Violins" playing sorrowful, "Give me clues" tunes, in the background....... :smiley19::smiley19:

Give me what I want, and I'll give you more clues........... :smiley15: Guesses, I need guesses, to survive to horror of your whinin'.............. :smiley17:

Holy Toledo Dude!! Ok, let me address these...first off, it's filming time that causes the time spread on BSG episodes. Traditionally, filming occurs in the Fall and Winter months, Spring and Summer are "slow times" in the media biz. On the current status of the series, I don't know if it's really "Earth" or not, we'll have to wait and see......... :smiley25:

When Arthur C. Clarke died, I felt your pain, so I understand that post completely..... :blush:

I do watch some of the episodes you mention, of those shows, but Dr.Who is the best, in the set you mentioned, in my smurfy opinion. Torchwood is a bit bizarre, and not "tightly wound, a bit offbeat to me. Jack's "gay" side made me wretch.... :blink:

Eureka has it's moments, but failed to grab me completely. Kind of "predictable", again, only my opinion. :smiley24:

SG whatever, although a super run, for that long, has gotten "old hat", Atlantis as well. :smiley11:

Haven't seen the new Indianna, but "Iron Man" was freakin' cool!!! Hope for more of that, from this new franchise!! :smiley20::smiley20:

I remember a couple short stories, don't remember who wrote them, about aliens finding earth.

One involves an expedition sent to investigate a dead world and learn what they could about its inhabitants. They came back with a report that included parts of videos they found at what looked like what must have been the cultural or information center for the planet. As the delegation made their report to the leadership they reported that the inhabitants must have been totally insane. They showed pictures of them running vehicles off cliffs, into buildings, blowing things up, running off mountain cliffs and so on. The final conclusion was that the universe was better off now that these lunitics were gone. As the committee filed out one member stood looking at the last image on the main screen and wondered at the vast differences in the way the people looked. One obviously human standing in front of thier capitol buildingm with tall spires, but the others........a tall one with long floppy ears and another with big round ears and large white hands.

The second story had the explorers investigation earth some centuries after intelligent life disappeared. They discovered that some of them had apparently left into deep space, leaving the course they had taken behind for others to follow. The expedition fleet set out to find them. Finally after some months following the course they found a large fleet of rockets.

Th explorers were making comments that they must be mad to try a trip like this in chemical burning ships and wondered if they should offer assistance to them. After all, they might turn out to be a surperior life form and start to take over. But then they were only in rockets and outnumbered about three billion to one, no problem.

The last line was something like, a few decades later, the jokes didn't seem all that funny anymore.

Sounds "sort of", like some Robert Silverberg, loves "irony" in his books. Loved "The Seed(s) of Earth" by him, and although I read it over 30 years ago, it comes to mind here. Only remember that it "Hit Home", on the subject of "weirdness of potential reality". :smiley20:

Strange how a handful of movie scenes stick with you out of the thousands weve seen. One that has always stayed with me is in the beginning of 2010 where Roy Scheider and Dana Elcar have their little verbal sparring match. Two great actors enjoying their craft. Both gone now. . . :smiley13:

Mike