PT BOAT SIG GROUP BUILD

TGarthConnelly

Hello All ...

At some point in the near future, Dick Montgomery is assisting me to set a Group Build for the PT boat SIG.

If any of you have models (completed and WIP) of PT boats, MTBs, Schnellboote, MAS boats, MGBs, PGMs, and the like, post your photos in that Group Build folder once it is set up.

Now, regarding the PT Boat SIG ...

I would like to ask any of you from all chapters in IPMS/USA that if you have an interest in PT boats and related craft (WW2 mainly, but I'll entertain PTFs and FPBs and small missile boats) if you would contact either myself (PTConsultingNHR@aol.com) or Joe Caputo (KONDA24@aol.com) and "join" the SIG ...

I'd then, like to ask you to attend your own chapters' meetings and discuss these craft with your fellow members and maybe if we grow enough - we can sponsor tables at regional shows and at the Nationals and maybe we could then sponsor an award at those shows ...

What do you think?

Garth

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Additional images have been added today. Check out the SIG album at http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/Challeng...d+Group+Builds/

I want to take this opportunity here to thank Dick Montgomery for helping me and Joe Caputo to set this Group Build gallery up and I hope you guys enjoy the models I've posted and I invite Joe to post photos of his Revell Vosper MTB and of the South Vietnamese Navy PGM built up from the Lindberg USCG Cutter that he built ...

I also want to invite any of you to post your own photos here too, I'd love to see them!

Additionally, if any of you want to write anything on the boats, their weapons, engines and camouflage for a PTBSIG newsletter, please feel free to email me short articles to PTConsultingNHR@aol.com in WORD 97/2003 format with a few accompanying photos or if you have a review on a book on PTs and related craft or reviews on after-market accessories for PT kits or on the kits themselves ... please do so.

Garth

Additional images have been added today. Check out the SIG album at http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/Challeng...d+Group+Builds/

Hi Dave,

Yes sir, it definitely would! It's a torpedo boat ...............

I'd like to see one built up too.

Personally, if I could afford it and I had room for the bloody thing - I'd get one and have it built. I've got PTs, MTBs and a Schnellboot and a MGB but no MAS boat ...

Like Cussler, I would like a model of everything I wrote about.

Maybe when I find a job, I'll buy one ...

Garth

Hi Garth:

How about a New Italeri MAS - would that fit?

Dave

M.A.S. 568 4A – Italeri’s Latest 1/35 Scale Museum Quality Kit

Model Rectifier Corporation is excited and poised to receive and deliver another amazingly superior plastic model kit from Italeri’s "Culture of Modeling"… the M.A.S. 568 4A Serie Torpedo Armed Motorboat.

The M.A.S. is another in the series of 100% new tooling, 1/35 scale boats from Italeri that defy comparison for scale detail and equipment.

"Motoscafo Armato Silurante" (Italian for Torpedo Armed Motorboat) or M.A.S., was a class of fast torpedo vessels used by the Italian Royal Navy during WWI and WWII. They were 20-30 ton displacement boats with a up to 10 man crew. It carried two torpedoes, machine guns and occasionally a light antiaircraft gun. The most famous was the Decima M.A.S. of WWII, which had a max speed of 45 knots, and was equipped with two 450mm torpedoes and one anti-aircraft machine gun.

Detail, detail and more detail abound. Positionable hatches, precise depth charges and carriage, gun, safety equipment and so much more. The M.A.S. kit hull is 21.73" long. A heavy, photo-etched fret, clear parts sheet, ropes and screws enhance the precision and beauty of the model. Decals enable completion as the M.A.S. 568, Garzuf (Yalta), Black Sea (Russia), summer 1942 or the M.A.S. 563, Mazara del Vallo, Italy 1943. To assist the modeler, Italeri includes a unique, beautifully printed Photographic Reference Manual (PRM) containing history, historical in-depth photos, color profiles and diagrams of the real M.A.S. 568 4A boat. (Figures not included)

A new M.A.S. Crew and Accessory Set, #555611 will be available in early 2011.

M.A.S. 568 4A Serie (Torpedo Armed Motorboat) 1/35 Scale

MSRP $149.00 #555608 Available Late December 2010 4/Case

For more than six decades Model Rectifier Corporation of Edison, New Jersey has built a bold and dynamic reputation for quality products and technical achievement within the hobby industry. Today, MRC is the exclusive distributor for some of the world's most respected hobby products as well as the creators and manufacturers of prominent proprietary lines. Italeri continues this path of hobby excellence.

Dave.... images? please? perhaps?

And just in case you missed it a new IPMS review can be viewed:

Reviewer: Mike Kellner, IPMS# 30864 A large book at 8-1/2 by 12-inches, Allied Torpedo Boats is a hardbound ShipCraft Special of 128 pages by Seaforth Publishing and Classic Warship Publishing, which has produced this work, composed of 9 sections.

• The first section, titled "Coastal Forces Development 1915-1945†explains the development of the MTBs (motor torpedo boats) and how they came to be. The American boats’ development is easy to follow since the US Navy went with fewer types and mass production early on, whereas the English didn't seem to build any six boats the same.
  • The second section of the book is definitely for modelers and is called simply "Model Productionâ€. It covers the many different model PTs out there from the 1/1200 scale ones to 1/24 scale RC-capable ones.
  • Section three is titled "Modelmakers Showcase" and features built-ups by many different modelers, and is a very inspiring chapter.
Company: Seaforth Publishing Book Author(s): John Lambert and Les Brown MSRP: $40.00

Hi Garth:

Seems smaller to me. Hull is one piece bottom and deck. Large Fret of PE for some parts and a nice little decal sheet. I'll see if I ican't snap a few pics - I think we have found a reviewer but that's Mr. Noacks call

Dave

Another image has been added to the PT Boat SIG album. Bob Liebman contributed a "recce photo" of a PT Boat lying in wait for a target of opportunity. Thanks Bob!

Dick,

Thanks for posting that photo ...

Bob, if you're out there sir; what kit is that? What did you do on it? Did you use any PE on it? Any aftermarket pieces?

Details man! Details!

Or, to paraphrase Dr. Evil; "I'm the boss, ... need the info ..."

Nice job Bob.

Garth

Another image has been added to the PT Boat SIG album. Bob Liebman contributed a "recce photo" of a PT Boat lying in wait for a target of opportunity. Thanks Bob!

Gents - This is purely a fun, nostalgia piece: It's the Revell 1/72 PT, built by me at about age 12, c.1973. Only two minor mods to the kit: One torpedo tube is empty and the hull number was changed to something different from 109 to make it "my" boat. So here she is, caught lurking in some lagoon (a small creek near the house) by a Japanese recce plane. I think this pic was taken with a Brownie camera and a roll of b/w 127 film.

Cheers!

Bob

Well, it's very cool sir. Thank you for sharing it.

Garth

Gents - This is purely a fun, nostalgia piece: It's the Revell 1/72 PT, built by me at about age 12, c.1973. Only two minor mods to the kit: One torpedo tube is empty and the hull number was changed to something different from 109 to make it "my" boat. So here she is, caught lurking in some lagoon (a small creek near the house) by a Japanese recce plane. I think this pic was taken with a Brownie camera and a roll of b/w 127 film.

Cheers!

Bob

Coincidentally, I just received a shipment of kits donated to the IPMS Support the Troops program, and one of those kits was a re-pop of the Revell classic PT-109. Check it out at

http://ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/Challenge+Builds+and+Group+Builds/PT+Boat/

• 5 months later...

Hey,

Glad to see other Group build posting. Thought the MEWSIG Group build and myself were going it alone!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

In the near future, I will have some news that will be of great interest to the PT BOAT SIG and those of you who build PT boat models. Stayed tuned.

Garth