Take Two Was: Forum Update Thanksgiving weekend

Eric Aitala

Hi Folks,

I plan on upgrading the Forum software to the latest version of IP Board over Thanksgiving weekend. We are a version behind and I'd like to make sure we are up to date. I will probably do the updates pretty late Friday or Saturday night - mebbe around midnight Eastern time.

The upgrade will proceed as...

1. Take the Forums offline
  2. Backup the database
  3. Backup the forum software and files
  4. Apply the update
  5. Update the theme with IPMS logos, etc.
  6. Test...
  7. Turn everything back on

I have tried doing the upgrade when we were testing the Forum with the new web server - it went pretty easily, so I expect no problems. If there are, I can always restore the backups.

The new version of IP Board has a different set of default themes, so things may look a little different - see http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/ for an example. I don't expect things to operate any differently however...

Eric

I am sure it will work and look fine. I will be out of town that weekend so will not get to check out the goings on until Tuesday. Hope it all goes well!

The update to the Forum failed quite badly.

I have restored the files and database. I may try the update again later in the weekend.

Eric

It never works the first time, does it? Thanks for the effort.

I was successful in doing the update on a duplicate version of the IPMS Forums today - I am thinking that I will try to do the update on the real Forum this weekend. It wont happen until after midnight, so no one should really notice...

Eric

HI,

It looks like the Forum update has succeeded. So far things look pretty good - I have seen no issues.

There may be a few 'missing' avatars, but I don't see any at the moment. I have everything backed up, so I can restore files if need be.

Please let me know if you see any issues.

Eric

Easy to navigate....great eye appeal.... a definate improvement from the previous version. Great job Eric!

Hmmm... I wonder how I can fix that.....

E

quotes in previous posts don't seem to have a clear beginning and end.

Looks like you just did! The change looks GREAT!! I'm not usually for change to a website(if it's not broke, don't fix it) but this is an improvement!

Easy to navigate....great eye appeal.... a definate improvement from the previous version. Great job Eric!

I agree. Takes a minute to re-orient yourself, then you can start appreciating the improved layout and functionality.

The style of quotes in older posts was not very clear. I've made them look more like the current quotes.

E

Hmmm... I wonder how I can fix that.....

E

quotes in previous posts don't seem to have a clear beginning and end.

Looks like you just did! The change looks GREAT!! I'm not usually for change to a website(if it's not broke, don't fix it) but this is an improvement!

Don,

I have added a new theme thats white text on black background - will this work? See the Theme selector pulldown on the very bottom left of the page.

Eric

Is it possible to darken the background a tad?? That's been my major complaint the lastest versions...

I especially like the Calendar feature. I see that several have already found it easy and useful.

I like the new look of the posts, but the speed that screens change when clicking a function button is S...L...O...W! It took 55 seconds from the time I clicked the Add Reply button until the progress bar at the bottom of my screen blinked out and the cursor started flashing in this message box. That is not an improvement. Clicking on a forum topic from the list takes at least 30 seconds to clear the screen and show the new posts on the topic.

Ed