P-51 wing question

Eric

Working on Tamiya's P-51D kit right now. I know that the top of the wing was primed and painted at the factory but I was wondering about the lower surface. Of the one or 2 photos I can find of WW2 era P-51's it's hard to tell. I think the whole wing was painted but if not where was the demarcation line for the upper to lower wing? Any ideas.

Eric

Working on Tamiya's P-51D kit right now. I know that the top of the wing was primed and painted at the factory but I was wondering about the lower surface. Of the one or 2 photos I can find of WW2 era P-51's it's hard to tell. I think the whole wing was painted but if not where was the demarcation line for the upper to lower wing? Any ideas.

Eric

The whole wing was painted on a P-51, both top and bottom. The leading 40 or 60% chord (also top and bottom), was also filled and smoothed in the joints to promote good laminar air flow, so panel lines would be extremely subtle on a model in this region. Many model Mustangs do not distinguish between the silver finishes on the fuselage and wings. HTH

Edited by mquan