Teutonic Knight

Kjundude1

Excellent job! The eyes look dead on and the expression is enhanced by the eyebrows. I assume this is Acylic paint?

Excellent results! I'm assuming this is a resin bust figure. Did you just spray it with primer and paint, or did you clean up the casting to enhance details and remove mold marks first?

Ed

Chris, This is a magnificent rendering. I can't decide whihc I like more, the intense facial expression or the hair and beard. Kudos. :smiley20:

Hi, Chris,

You did not miss anything I can see from any of the photo angles. I asked my question based on a personal style preference for working with figure models, which when explained will reveal why I complete so few.

I am a detail fussbudget when it comes to the layers of articles of clothing a figure wears, the full curvature of fingers on hands, articles of clothing against skin, the way hair touches skin on the face and head (or clothing below the collar), and removing all traces of supposedly open gaps that are filled in by resin plugs (or white metal) from the casting process. I personally do not like to paint shadows at these detail junctions of dissimilar items, especially dark shadows across skin, preferring the look of real shadows. So I spend hours and hours undercutting with sharp x-acto blades and dental probes and picks to sharpen up all the edges a bit to create natural shadows from room lighting. The Chisholm Clan Warrior photos on this Figures section will show what I mean.

All this work is meaningless, of course, if I can't then paint the figure properly. I love the paint talent you have shown on this figure. The white is especially striking because it is so hard to get right, and your skin tones on the face are amazing. While I have many, many bottles of Vallejo paint colors, I'm still a novice at using them, so I have much to learn from someone like yourself who has mastered them. I've used Windsor & Newton artist's oils almost exclusively on my figures because I love the working time for blending and the ease of removing unwanted paint with a sharp tip and smoothing the scar over with still-wet paint of the correct color.

Keep up the great work. I've become a fan of yours.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Ed,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Your Warrior figure is awesome and I do see what you mean about the undercutting. I don't spend so much time with the cleanup. I basically remove the mold line and I do cleanup, and sharpen the edges, but not to the degree that you do. It certainly pays off in your work. They edges and natural shadow add a realizm to the figure.

I have only been doing figures for about 2 years or so, and have only used Vellejo acrylics. I am in the Atlanta Military Figure Club and some of the members there achieve beautiful results with oils. I may have to try them one day.

The whole trick with acrylics is the blending (or defusing) with glazes.

Thanks again for your kind words.

www.scalesminiatures.net

I like your painting a lot, nice metals, good eyes, good highlighting on the hair and really good work on the heraldry on his chest.

I'm not sold on the beard, however. The edges look a bit too groomed, more disco Beegees than someone in the field for a long time. While there are nice highlights and shading, to my eye, there should be more texture in this scale.

Edited by ajlafleche

I like your painting a lot, nice metals, good eyes, good highlighting on the hair and really good work on the heraldry on his chest.

I'm not sold on the beard, however. The edges look a bit too groomed, more disco Beegees than someone in the field for a long time. While there are nice highlights and shading, to my eye, there should be more texture in this scale.

I agree for the same reasons. A bit too hard lined on the beard, but way better than I could do.

Well done!