Support The Troops Program

Dick Montgomery

This Saturday, Nov 13th, another load of kits and supplies was delivered to the Rehab facility at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio.

An IPMS member, John Estes, donated $200 for the purchase of paint, brushes, and glue. Thanks John !

Hill Country Hobbies (in San Antonio) ordered the supplies and donated a discount so that John's donation was extended. Thanks H.C.H.!

IPMS Acadiana donated table space that their annual "GaterCon" event and an IPMS Donation Station was set up. Sean Glaspell (RC-6) and I shared time at the table accepting kits from participants and walk-in traffic. Thanks Acadiana!

Cajun Model Company (Shane Theriot) donated "a mess" (as we say down in the South) of kits and this isn't the first time Shane has provided goodies for the troops. Thanks CMC!

David Heno, of Houston, Tx. contributed an arm-load of kits directly from his vendor table! Thanks David!

Countless others donated kits as well and a big Thanks to each of you!

As you read this there are soldiers at the rehab center who are working on those donated kits, using the paint and glue, reading the books, and watching the DVDs that were donated to the IPMS Support the Troops Donation Station at GaterCon.

This was an excellent way to celebrate Veteran's Day.

Having just sent a member from the Green Dragons club some arcylic paint (he builds cars), an M-60 and M-88 (trying to convert him) because he is in Afghanistan (Kandahar Airport), I love reading about this program. Way to go!!!! Keep it up!!! Many thanks to all those that made it possible.

Mark

A HUGE Kudos to all of the contributors working with Dick to make all of this happen. :smiley20: Righteous! :smiley20:

Edited by Weedeater

The opportunity for modelers to make a difference to the troops who are rehabing is there, and I can't count the number of folks who walk up to the Donation Station and drop in a book, a tool, or a kit. Some folks contribute by the armload and others are generous enough to throw in something they just snagged from a vendor.

In any case, I'm pleased to have a small part to play in the acquisition and delivery of these goodies. I do the paperwork (its an ARMY base...and nothing happens without paperwork) and I transport the goodies from the event at which I set up the donation station to the base.

I also filter out the infrequent model that has been junked. The donor probably forgot that half the model was removed to convert something else but I don't want someone opening a box to find a pile of rather useless stuff.

Folks have donated models that are rather inexpensive and then others have kicked in stuff that gets up into the 3 digit range.

You might check in your area for a VA Hospital, a USO facility, or some other kind of establishment which would gladly accept donations. If you want to send stuff to the facility that I frequent please contact me via PM.

I know other folks do something similar and perhaps it would spur some action to be able to read what others are doing to Support The Troops.

Been doing it here in Cincinnati since 2001, we do 4 drives a year plus collect kits at our annual show to send over.

My club treasurer handles it and I've found over the years he's had more current contact info sometimes than "offical" IPMS resources :P.

Anyone ever has trouble finding a contact shoot me a email offsite and I'll relay it to him

Edited by Don Flynn

How about a write up for the website? If more clubs saw such examples of successful programs, with a little documentation covering the logistics, it would certainly be educational and they could follow suit in their local areas.

One size doesn't fit all. The majority of the efforts of which I am aware have unique "local" issues that must be considered, but there seems to be interest in this area.

Sharing the lessons learned through short write-ups made available on the IPMS website can help the program to grow.

With the difficulty noted in maintaining contact with rotating, overseas POC's for a given station, might IPMS shake hands with another org, say the USO, to help maintain those links, as the uniformed folks transition in and out of a base? Certainly it's an additional, minor issue that the fighting unit won't have time for. If the model clubs are already formed & run based on the current IPMS & industry support, it may be right up USO's alley to just help maintain contact/continuity between the clubs & the CONUS.

How about a write up for the website? If more clubs saw such examples of successful programs, with a little documentation covering the logistics, it would certainly be educational and they could follow suit in their local areas.

One size doesn't fit all. The majority of the efforts of which I am aware have unique "local" issues that must be considered, but there seems to be interest in this area.

Sharing the lessons learned through short write-ups made available on the IPMS website can help the program to grow.

Sent one in a few times to the website, Dick, and Mike Bailey did a write up that was in one of the last couple issues of the Journal.

I know the reason the website stuff never made it and we'll let it go at that.