1903 Wright Flyer

JeffS

It took awhile but here is my finished Monogram/Revell Wright Flyer. As you know this is a very old mold that has been rereleased many times over the years. Surprisingly, the molds have held up very well in regards to the subject but not so well with the figures. The kit comes with all the materials one would need to do a diorama of the first powered flight. Track, tools and figures are included. The track in my kit was curved badly. Wing detail includes stitching etc.

Basic finishing included preshading the ribs with Polly Scale dark earth and applying misting coats of linen on top of that. The rigging was silver colored cotton string which was passed through bee's wax to remove the fuzzy appearance. One of the gimmicks in this kit was positive locater rings for aligning the struts. Although they are out of scale, it made assembly easier. The struts also have built in hooks to catch and hold the rigging. The model scales out to about 1/39th but I may be wrong there.

This project was loads of fun an maybe it is time for me to do more two wingers.

100_3612.jpg

Thank you for looking.

That's a terrific build. Congrats on a non-trivial kit to put together correctly. Great shading on the upper wing surface too. I might have used a slightly lighter shade for the linen. I think that there's a lot of yellowing going on in museum aircraft after more than a century. But that's just a personal preference as there aren't any color photos of the a/c in question to use.

While I'd agree the fabric might be lighter, what you've done with the ribs and spars is excellent. I think it would be interesting for you to try some black/white photos at angles similar to some of the original photos -- I'll bet it's a dead ringer !!!

Thank you everyone for the kind comments.

dcaponeII--no offense taken, I have been at this hobby to long for that. I did mark down your advise for the Bleriot IX that will someday make it's way across the workbench.

Pyrman--my drug of choice is NyQuil. Look what it has done for Louis Black! NOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PIECE OF PHOTO ETCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!