Tamiya Liquid surface primer

802chrisg

Ok, I need help. I just tried to use the Tamiya liquid surface primer that comes in a bottle. I have never used this stuff before. Since I use Tamiya acrilic paints I figured that this stuff was acrilic. I could not tell if this was true or not because everything on the bottle was in japance. Well anyway when I added the Tamiya thinner the stuff became a big messy blob in the mixing jar. My question is this. What do you use to thin the stuff? Do you thin the stuff at all? Take in mine that I plan on using my airbrush to spray this. Need help?

Chris Graeter

Edited by 802chrisg

I've not used this product, but the Tamiya web site (http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87096surface/index.htm) recommends Tamiya lacquer thinner, so it must be a lacquer-based product.

Here's what someone else on another forum had to say about it:

"I had big problems trying to spray it when thinning with normal automotive lacquer thinner - the stuff would dry in the air and form a powdery texture. Luckily you could rub it off easily with some alcohol since it never adhered that well to the surface. I then discovered Tamiya lacquer thinner - expensive stuff but it seems to dry slower and the powdering problem disappeared. When thinning the Tamiya liquid surface primer with the Tamiya lacquer thinner, I now get a satin/glossy finish that makes quite a nice base for further painting. I heard you can also use the Gunze levelling thinners, but haven't tried it myself."

Edited by SkyKing

I've not used this product, but the Tamiya web site (http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87096surface/index.htm) recommends Tamiya lacquer thinner, so it must be a lacquer-based product.

Here's what someone else on another forum had to say about it:

"I had big problems trying to spray it when thinning with normal automotive lacquer thinner - the stuff would dry in the air and form a powdery texture. Luckily you could rub it off easily with some alcohol since it never adhered that well to the surface. I then discovered Tamiya lacquer thinner - expensive stuff but it seems to dry slower and the powdering problem disappeared. When thinning the Tamiya liquid surface primer with the Tamiya lacquer thinner, I now get a satin/glossy finish that makes quite a nice base for further painting. I heard you can also use the Gunze levelling thinners, but haven't tried it myself."

Mike,

Thanks, this helps big time. Now I must go order some tamiya thinner.

Chriss

Mike,

Thanks, this helps big time. Now I must go order some tamiya thinner.

Chriss

You're welcome. Let us know how it works out.

• 2 weeks later...
You're welcome. Let us know how it works out.

I usually use Tamiya Liquid Primer for filling small gaps and texturing armor. I thin it and clean my brushes with lacquer thinner. I've only sprayed it once and that was to form anti-skid on a tank. If I need a primer, I decant Tamiya's Grey Surface Primer from the spray can and use that.

-Jesse