Wash that tank Help

Pappy

I have had issues with doing a wash over enamel paints. It seen like you can not wash oil / enamel paint over with out removing or mixing with the base coat. I have never used future and does this not leave a gloss coat over the paint? How can I go about this with out using future? Thanks.

Pappy :smiley16:

Pappy,

Yes, Future is a gloss coat. You can add Tamiya flat to it to make a flat coat (never done it, so you will have to do some experiments). The other choice would be to use an water base flat coat like PollyScale or Testor Arcyl. The oil base wash will not effect the paint job if you have a water base flat over it.

Eric

The future is applied and the removal of the wash keeps most of the paint intact. Not always. I use Model Master Gloss, wash, clean, decal or Mark, then flat coat. Mine usually turn out OK!

Don't use a thinner based wash over enamel paints. All you do is lift the base coat. Always have a barrier coat of another base between the base and the wash. Use an acrylic over oils. Or Model Master overcoats over their paints. Or Kleer over anything as acrylics don't impact the undercoat. Don't use lacquers over anything as they will dissolve anything.

I don't know about mixing Model Master Flat with Kleer as they have a different base. I'm not sure how they would actually mix. Like alcohol and water, they don't mix, they merely exist side by side.

Pappy, Assuming you are airbrushing your base colors and that they are emanels, there are two things you can do to safely add a wash. First, thin your emanels for airbrushing with a lacquer thinner. Most off-the-shelf hardware store brands of lacquer thinner will work, though I perfer the automotive paint brand. Next, make the wash using "Turpinoid" by Weber in the blue can. It will not affect your base coat be it either enamel or acrylic. You can find it in most arts and crafts supply stores.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Does the lacquer work well with both Testors and Humbrol? How do you thin Mr. Color, i feel that these are the hardest to work with.

Pappy :)

I use Mr Color leveling thinner for mr color paints as it has a leveler built in, pricey though.

You can use laquer thinners but people have had problems with stringing.

Laquer thinners will work with almost any oil based enamels and some say it'll work well with Tamiya acrylics but I prefer Isopropol alcohol with those.

Just be aware that laquer thinners evaporate rapidly so adjust your pressure and shorten the distance between the model and the air brush, practice on a piece of scrap before committing to a model as you can't undo errors with laquer as it really etches itself into the surface of the plastic.

Of course that's why we use it, more robust finnish. :smiley22:

Hey Mark,

Did you say you are into Israeli Armor because, I am building a M51 Isherman. It is the Acadamy kit. Came about that my wife asked my seince I am Jewesh. Why don't I have any Israel tanks built? Having a fun time building it. Do you have any tips or tricks if you have built this kit before?

Pappy :smiley20: