Sd. Kfz. 234/1

maxk485

Just got a new one at IPMS overland park and I'm debating a camoflage scheme. I've seen them in panzer grey, two tone over yellow and straight panzer yellow. Any ideas?

FWIW, I copied these examples off of the www over the past year, of guys work that I admire. This one:

SdKfz234-1-83pb.jpg

....would have been a little monitone for my tastes, except the builder splashed it with a few components looking like they had been taken/robbed from other vehicles. I think it looks cool.

- I would be hard pressed to not do one of these two though:

SdKfz234-1-71pb.jpg

SdKfz234-1-2pb.jpg

....of which I personally, REALLY like! Hope the visual effect helps in your choice. Model on, Brother of the Sprue. :smiley20:

Edited by Weedeater

Max,

This vehichle was produced from 1944 on. The base color leaving the factory would have been dark yellow. The field unit would have applied the camo when they received it. Ken has given some good examples. It really depends on where the vehicle that you are modeling served. If it was on the Russian front, depending on time of year it could have a white wash over the yellow. There was no standard camo patteren by the Germans in WWII. Some vehicles in the same unit would be painted closely the same , but non alike. I have seen vehicles painted with Dark green spots over the base yellow. Dark green and brown strips over the base yellow. I have seen different forms of the "Ambush" patteren on these vehicles. If you are still woundering about the camo patteren, check references. Try finding a good book on the 8-Rod series of German armour cars. That will help greatly. Also try looking at others work on line. Track-Links, Missing-Links, War Wheels, IPMS Show photos, ect.

Chris

Yep, I agree with the rest of the guys here.

For what it is worth, although I've never seen any pics of Dark Grey 234's and haven't heard of any done up that way, you never know what actually happened in all cases.... Someone could have found some old stocks of paint.... or???

I guess what I'm saying is, hey, if you want to paint it dark grey, it's your choice and your model. Have fun!! But, obviously you would want to let everyone know it is a "what if" paint job. That is, unless you've found photos of it in dark grey; which would be cool and I'd sure like to see them...

Model on!! :smiley20:

Fascinating! Three different models with three different variations of spare tire mounting and three different variations of tool, jack & jerry can mountings.

I like it!!!