What Makes Decals Crinkle Under A Clear Coat?

VonL

Am working on a 1/72 Dragon Rapide, using the great...and hard to find...Whiskey Jack decals. Starting with a nice, glossy surface of Testors enamel that had cured for about a week, the decals seemed to go on fine, over a dab of thinned, white-glue solution that I use to prevent silvering. When the 'cals looked dry, I hit them with the mighty Solvaset. I usually wait at least a good day after Solvaset, Micro-anything, etc, before doing the top coat, but it was about another week of cure-time before that step, which should have been a good thing. When I sprayed on the Testors clear coat, a couple of the smaller decals crinkled up. !#$%"!

After this nightmare dried, I started making numerous fine cuts with an extra sharp knife and re-applying the Solvaset, to gradually knock it down. Some progress with that, but it still appears that I'm basically hosed. What happened here?

"Future" is your friend. I'd quit using the Testors clear gloss (laquer-based) and use Future for your gloss coat.

You can apply Solvaset, Mr. Mark Softer, anything...without ill effect.

Yep, all true....you can even use oil washes over it with no worries.

I used to use Metallizer Sealer as my clear decal/wash base (it dried to a hard, smooth finish that took deacls and weathering well), but I switched to Future because the smell from the Sealer was more than overpowering. While Future isn't bulletproof, it is extremely friendly and for most purposes works great.

Mix in a little Tamiya Flat Base and you get a semi- or full matte finish that you can adjust and tailor to the requirement at hand.

Ralph

"Future" is your friend. I'd quit using the Testors clear gloss (laquer-based) and use Future for your gloss coat.

You can apply Solvaset, Mr. Mark Softer, anything...without ill effect.

Oh, yes. Just make sure you let the Future cure.