Post Ww2 Usn Wheel Wells

TimDarrah

OK I'm a bit stoopid, but that's alright. I know that semi-modern USN/USMC aircraft (F-4, A-4 time frame) had the edges of their gear doors painted red to show us stoopid crew chiefs where not to grab. Were the areas of the wheel well where the doors touched the airframe painted red as well?

Thanks,

I worked on the F-4 for 12 years and I remember some wheel well doors and other areas being painted red and then some of the same areas on other A/C not being painted. I don't know if it was set in stone or not. I kind of believe when the A/C came from rework it would be painted but after awhile in service those red areas got painted over. I don't really know so don't put anything in the bank. :smiley13:

It was my understanding that the door edges were painted red to be easier to spot as "down" when the a/c was in the landing pattern, as well as to make them a bit more visiable when crawling around under the a/c. I've never seen the interior edges (mating surfaces) also painted red. The exception would be the entire interiors of flap wells and speed brake wells; which werre painted to alert other a/c in the formation that those items were being deployed. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks guys. My RF-4C had the red (very faded & dirty) inside the speed brakes, flaps & leading edge flaps, AUX air doors etc. but not on the doors. But hey she was 20 when I crewed her. I didn't think that red was painted on the faying surface.

Thanks for the info & guideance.