Libery Bell 7

JeffS

Here is the Revell 1/48 scale Mercury capsule finished as Libery Bell 7.

000_0253.jpg

A rather nice build for it's age and the only real gripe I have is that the decal sheet was so thick, it took a bucket of solv-a-set to lay them down on the lovered panels. There is a nice interior with really sweet instrument panel representing the early Mercury flights. The pilot figure looks a lot like an Egyptian mummy bent at the knees but you don't see much in there anyways at that scale.

Thanks for looking

Thanks for the comment Gil. Greg, this was the History Makers release which included the Gemini Capsule also. Had it for a long time. I want to do the Gemini soon to go with Mercury. Right now I am studying how to do the the Service Bay with all the dangly straps and whatnot. Got lots of foil but now thinking out the structure underneath to support it. Real Space has some stuff I can use.

Thanks for looking

The Liberty Bell 7 was recovered a couple of years ago and according to the televison show was to restored and place as an exhibit in a museum somewhere. The show producers attempted at solving "The hatch just blew" theory and as I recall, Grissom was correct in his report.

It should be sitting on display at Kennedy Space Center.

I think it was at KSC for a while, but its now at the Kansas Comsosphere

They have some really cool stuff there, including the Apollo 13 command module.

BTW, the Revell kit (Mercury + Gemini kit in one box) was reissued sometime in the last 10 years, so there should be some floating around out there. I have magical memories of building those two kits when they were new and I was 9 years old and Apollo missions were live on TV... (needless to say, I've got 2 of the reissues stashed away in the closet).

Don