Sdkfz 7 Help Needed

JohnRatzenberger

Guys,

Need some guidance on the SdKfz 7 --

I'm building the Trumpeter kit and there are no paint instructions other than overall body color and, if taken literally, half the engine block. Seems there should be a little more than that ???? Did the old Tamiya kit instructions have anything worth while ? Are the new Dragon kit instructions out anywhere ?

Next, can anyone point me at some photo sources for this vehicle -- what I really want are shots of the rear compartments open so I can see how to load stuff, particularly artillery gear, ammo, etc.

Thanks in advance,

John,

I have the "Nuts & Bolts" #12 on the Sd.kfz. 9, 18 ton halftrack and it has drawings of them in all sorts of colour schemes. Remember that they left the factory in overall Dunkel Gelb and the Shokolaten Braun, Rot-Braun and/or Dunkel Grun were applied in the field by the unit's maintenance unit. It has a couple black-n-white photos of a restored engine and it's a dark colour but it wasn't black. I didn't see anything on hoe ammo was stored, sorry, but I bet it was in tubes inside the compartments.

Timmy

John, Trumpeter's kit is of the early version and, unless you're depicting a post-2/43 scene, should be painted in dunkelgrau. You could also add sandgelb (for Nord Afrika) or olivgruen (for Eastern front) as a secondary camo color. The engine blocks were cast metal, so any dark steel or oily black should work. The head covers should be a semi-gloss black.

hope this helps...

Yes, I'll be doing a simple dunkelgrau scheme and realize that's what most the vehicle would be. Engine compartment will not be open, so only concerned about view from under. But what about steering wheel, shift levers & knobs, and especially the seats (leather, cloth, brown, gray ?) ? What would be the "inside" color of the "convertible top"?

Thanks,

John

John, the steering wheel & shift knob should be semigloss black- IIRC, they were Bakelite. The rag tops were khaki, feldgrau or a buff. The early seats were tanned leather or faux leather.

John,

I've sent you photos of what you're looking for. I hope that they help.

Timmy

Archived