Tamiya 1/48 A6M3 Reisen "Hamp"

66Foxtrot

I did this to experiment with the "salt" technique to replicate wear/tear/chipping. After I laid down some Alclad II chrome, I decided it would be really cool to mist on some light coats of acrylic blue "Aotake". I know it was used on a lot of interior metal as an anti-corrosive in Japan, but wasn't sure about the exterior. Apparently, it was never used as an exterior primer, but I don't care. I like how it turned out, and it was a lot of fun. It's OOB, with Gunze Acrylics.

A6M3Hamp5.jpg

A6M3Hamp6.jpg

A6M3Hamp7.jpg

A6M3Hamp8.jpg

A6M3Hamp12.jpg

A6M3Hamp13.jpg

A6M3Hamp14.jpg

A6M3Hamp17.jpg

A6M3Hamp18.jpg

A6M3Hamp19.jpg

What's that sound I hear?...........Oh yea, it's the groaning of all of the Nippoholics! :smiley2:

Looks good to me James! More importantly, you got the handle on a new technique which will come in handy down the road. The Hamp is my favorite Zero! Congrats on another nice build!

GIL :smiley16:

• 3 weeks later...

Wiskey/Tango/Foxtrot,

I like it! I pretty much build Japanese stuff exclusively. I like the way you used the salt. I've read about the tecnhnique a number of time but have yet to try it. When I do I might use a red oxide type color in place of the Aotake on the exterior. I've seen a number of wreckgae pieces over the years with a dull red undercoat.

As far as the 'Japananaholics' and 'rivet counters' are concerned - who cares?? After all it sits in YOUR display case.

Kevin :smiley20: