Scratchbuilt oil Fied Rig

This is an old Bantam oil field rig I worked on back in 1978 while living in Wyoming. This was my first effort at scratchbuilding anything from the ground up. the only things kit supplied were the tires, wheels and axles. The frame and everything else is totally scratchbuilt. This will be at the Murfreesboro Show in November as well as a scratchbuilt crane.

003-2.jpg

WOW!!! That rig is awesome. I was drilling oil wells in 1978 in South Louisiana using truck rigs. Oh, the memories.

I too will be in Murfreesboro, so I can't wait to see it up close and personal.

Chris Fontenot

WOW!!! That rig is awesome. I was drilling oil wells in 1978 in South Louisiana using truck rigs. Oh, the memories.

I too will be in Murfreesboro, so I can't wait to see it up close and personal.

Chris Fontenot

Thanks. That crane is now probably melted down and sold to China. I look forward to meeting any of you guys that are in Murf. yep memories of oil fields are sometimes good and sometimes bad. I saw a rig blow up on a ridgeline about 20 miles away from the one I was on down in Thermoplis Wyoming. not a pretty site.

Wow - nice work! Mo'debly more pix, please!

th_005.png

these are clickablew for full size image

th_005.png

th_006.png

Edited by skysoldier46

Fantastic stuff - truly inspiring. Hope to see this at the Nats...?

I'd love to do the Nats even if just to oggle all the other models there. :smiley23:

Now this is some really cool work. To build something from scratch, thats modeling in its highest form. I work around a lot of tunneling machines and have often walked up on job sites thinking 'what a great diorama this would make." Then the reality of actually building it sets in and, well I've never done it yet. I agree with the others on the weathering. really great stuff.

Chris

Now this is some really cool work. To build something from scratch, thats modeling in its highest form. I work around a lot of tunneling machines and have often walked up on job sites thinking 'what a great diorama this would make." Then the reality of actually building it sets in and, well I've never done it yet. I agree with the others on the weathering. really great stuff.

Chris

There's a company here in Lebanon, Jackson Drilling, that drills water wells and their trucks are another one I plan on doing from scratch. I know it won't be ready for the Murfreesboro show but maybe by next year. Anyway, I'll try to post some in-progress photo's once I start. The show is an IPMS Middle Tennessee sponsored event also.

There's a company here in Lebanon, Jackson Drilling, that drills water wells and their trucks are another one I plan on doing from scratch. I know it won't be ready for the Murfreesboro show but maybe by next year. Anyway, I'll try to post some in-progress photo's once I start. The show is an IPMS Middle Tennessee sponsored event also.

This is the water well drilling rig that's my next scratchbuild project. I took 122 pics of it today and will begin as soon as I restock more Evergreen. :smiley20:

008-3.jpg

I hope you have the time and inclination to share to more images of the new project. This is really inspiring stuff!

This is the water well drilling rig that's my next scratchbuild project. I took 122 pics of it today and will begin as soon as I restock more Evergreen. :smiley20:

008-3.jpg

I hope you have the time and inclination to share to more images of the new project. This is really inspiring stuff!

yes I will. I'll probably start on it the first of the month. I have this Tamiya Brummbar I'm finishing up now. that's built straight out of the kit. one day I may try my hand at scratchbuilding a tank from ground up except the wheels. Then again a tank from scratch I keep asking why since there are so many aftermarket items for them. :smiley4:

James,

You are a fine scratch builder, and the weathering on that rig is spot on. Really makes the model jump out.

Chris

Thanks for the compliment. This next project has more plumbing and hydraulics than the Millenium Falcon! I may not be able to replicate every piece of tubing but I'll give it my best shot. And thanks to Dick on here, I'm going to do construction photos as I progress and have them posted to Filezilla. Maybe one of you guys can take a step into the unknown and try your hand at it. I've done airplanes before with scratchbuilt items rather than aftermarket so it may give ideas for new projects to some of you. Anyway, I do appreciate the kind words and will start this project beginning of next month. I still have measurements to make of the cab and equipment on this rig, order more Evergreen, try to figure out how to make the chain that hoists this puppy up or look for it on something. It's basically a big heavy duty bicycle chain so if anyone has an idea that will work in 1/25th scale please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the compliment. This next project has more plumbing and hydraulics than the Millenium Falcon! I may not be able to replicate every piece of tubing but I'll give it my best shot. And thanks to Dick on here, I'm going to do construction photos as I progress and have them posted to Filezilla. Maybe one of you guys can take a step into the unknown and try your hand at it. I've done airplanes before with scratchbuilt items rather than aftermarket so it may give ideas for new projects to some of you. Anyway, I do appreciate the kind words and will start this project beginning of next month. I still have measurements to make of the cab and equipment on this rig, order more Evergreen, try to figure out how to make the chain that hoists this puppy up or look for it on something. It's basically a big heavy duty bicycle chain so if anyone has an idea that will work in 1/25th scale please let me know.

I have found the chain I need to replicate the chain hoist used to raise the rig up. It comes from a revell "Torch" chopper. The part is only maybe 2" long in a straight line so looks like I'll be doing a LOT of resin casting on sections then joining them all together. This project is going to take at a miminum 6 months maybe longer to complete. I have 3 engines to make, 2 caterpillar's and one Detroit Engine. There may be models of these but I get more enjoyment in making things from nothing than buying a kit to just slap that part in. Anyway, I have started on the chassis and am wiring and plumbing all the hydraulics now. And I am taking photo's as I go so later I'll send them to Mike for him to post.

well today my rigs got beat out of 1st place by a fish. was a nice fish. but a fish? oh well, back to my man cave to pout. LOL

Your rigs were beautiful, and so was the fish. I loved getting to see your rigs up close and it was a pleasure meeting you.

Chris Fontenot

Thanks Chris, I wish more models had been shown tho. Seems the Cookeville show always has a LOT of them. I'm gonna try and make the Cookeville show this year if time permits. and it was a pleasure meeting you also.