Cool new modeling tools

MikeH

I got these in the mail today. The guy was at the Nordicon contest, but I didn't have any leftover cash to buy them at the time. Back to the tools - the one on the left is a great multi-tool. I can't wait to use it for scribing some panel lines on the Camaro project. The other tool from him is this JLC saw. The blade is super thin and cuts beautifully through styrene. I'll be using it to cut the tops off the Firebird and Camaro for the swap out. Here's the link to his website -

http://www.umm-usa.com

http://www.umm-canada.com

DSC02718.jpg

DSC02722.jpg

Mike, you can't go wrong. I use both of the tools. John is a great modeler and has a fine engineering mind when it comes to making our hobby easier. John's saw blades are the only way to cut resin parts in my opinion.

YEP!! Ditto and ditto! I've found that the UMM scriber has held its edge better than any of the traditional "dental tool" style scribers (going on 2yrs now). I've used the saw so much that I've actually broken parts of the blade on BOTH sides, but what's left STILL works better than my other saws! Short of a motor tool, it's easily the best tool for removing resin pour stubs.

GIL :smiley16:

Tools make a big difference, and I've seen several of those items in the images of workbenchs and wips that folks post on the forum. Looks like I'll hit my LHS to see if they stock it.

My fav tool is the Small Shops PE bender I picked up at the Atlanta convention.

• 1 month later...

I went to Home Depot and bought a "Bucket Head". Its a shop-vac "top" that attaches to any 5 gal paint bucket. The hose is a bit short...about 5 feet long but it has plenty of "pull". Its great around the workbench since it is rather small and very lightweight! I like to do my sanding with it running since it pulls the sanding debris out of the air rather well. And when applying scenic materials to a base it really helps keeping the area cleaned up and picks up any scenic debris that escaped the base.

Bucket Head was $20 and the 5 gal can (I bought a new one along with the Bucket Head) was $2.

Does U.M.M have a U.K Distributor?

It looks to be a nice bit of tooling, judging by the comments from users posting to this thread.

Every craft or skill has a too that is the holy grail! In machining it is the "perfect measuring tool", woodworking the "perfect saw" etc., etc. In model building I suspect it is the perfect scriber. I have 5 differant ones in my tool box and imidiately turned around and ordered this one! :blush: I am absolutely certian that this is one will be perfect! :D Until the next one comes along.dry.gif :lol: