Bronco Supposedly Releases Many

Mark Aldrich

Fellow Treadheads and MEWSIG members......this should get your modern Armor juices rolling.

http://www.modelarmour.com/index.php?optio...s&Itemid=58

Edited by Mark Aldrich

DragonUSA just sent me this:

Greetings!

Dragon Models USA is please to announce that it has been appointed the exclusive distributor for Bronco Models for the United States of America. Bronco Models is a manufacturer based in China that specializes in high quality military subject plastic model kits. Their Armor, Aircraft, Ship and Accessories kits encompass a variety of interesting and unique subjects in a selection of popular scales.

Both of these kits are on the list with a retail that'll be somewhere in the $50 range, so buy it from a local hobby shop owner while you still have a local hobby shop! Otherwise, you'll have to get your paint and glue from eBay, too, and wait to finish the model... perhaps even missing the show you wanted to take it to.

There is nothing I enjoy more and than going to one of the many.....We have four in a 15 mile driving range and ACTUALLY finding what I am looking for. One will not stock or order Trumpeter (because of costs) and the others all say "Well, I can order it for you". Well, I can order it also. Luckily, if Dragon is the provider, He'll get some in. The LHS's I have always provide the tools of the trade just not the trade. I know no store can please everyone and my tastes are on the diverse side and I deal with it.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
There is nothing I enjoy more and than going to one of the many.....We have four in a 15 mile driving range and ACTUALLY finding what I am looking for. One will not stock or order Trumpeter (because of costs) and the others all say "Well, I can order it for you". Well, I can order it also. Luckily, if Dragon is the provider, He'll get some in. The LHS's I have always provide the tools of the trade just not the trade. I know no store can please everyone and my tastes are on the diverse side and I deal with it.

Mark

I agree with Mark. Here in Grand Junction we have ONE real hobby shop and no others in a 250 mile radius. If we drive to Denver (the 250 miles), there is really only ONE good hobby shop (Colpar Hobbies in Aurora) to bother visiting. If we drive to Las Vegas (over 500 miles), there seems to be only ONE hobby shop worth visiting (a Hobby Town on Sahara). We don't bother with Salt Lake City as the traffic there is totally terrible (worse than LV or Denver) and we have no good reason(s) to drive there (like family, friends, etc.). Now there are actually some other shops in both Denver & LV, but most of them carry almost nothing for the armor modeler. Of course, all charge full list price for their kits & accessories too.

So, I find myself also turning to the web for my kits and supplies. I sell lots of stuff on eBay, including kits, and use my PayPal account as my "modeling play money" which is just fine with the wife as she uses PayPal as her "play money" too. I can find some amazing deals on kits on eBay, and most of my purchases are sold/auctioned by US sellers. Once in a great while I buy something from an Asian seller, but not often.

The point I am trying to make is that while I try to do as much business as possible with my local guy, I find that if I want to 1) get a newly released kit, or 2) get a bargain now & then, I pretty much am forced to use the web/eBay, or sit on my thumb. I'd rather use the web. It's simple, easy, doesn't burn gas, and I usually get stuff in a few days, which is MUCH faster than waiting for the LHS to order it. Plus, I can't tell you how many times I have heard in a LHS: "I don't carry that brand." or "I don't have a supplier for that <whatever>." or "I just ran out of those and it will be 4-6-8 (pick one) weeks before I get any more."

Local hobby shops here in Colorado and in Las Vegas have been closing left & right for many years, mostly due to 2 factors: 1) substantially less business, and 2) substantially higher overhead/rents. When we first moved to the Denver area 25 years ago, it would take me most of a day to drive from one shop to another to see what was new and who had what. It was great fun, but now--not so much.

I think we have to accept the fact that buying the toys that make us happy has taken a major shift away from the traditional mom & pop stores and pretty much forced us to find what we want on the web. It's simply a fact of life that requires us to plan our purchases of paint & glue ahead of time rather than wait until we run out. On the plus side, sometimes we can save a boatload of money too!

That's my story & I'm sticking to it!

Rick

Edited by RickC5

My Favorites around here are Blitz Hobbies (Fort Lewis & Lacey) and Discount models. I rarely walk into one or the other to get supplies without coming out with a kit (that I already have more than enough of). So I try and support the best I can. Sometimes I get lucky on EBAY. Last weekend I sold one of the old Italeri M-110 Blood Sweat and Tears. It sold for $45 and still had the AAFES $8.95 price sticker on it. I turned around and got a couple accessories off of that. So it works out well. Now I gotta go find which Legends set as the rolled and wrapped barbed wire in it.

My Favorites around here are Blitz Hobbies (Fort Lewis & Lacey) and Discount models. I rarely walk into one or the other to get supplies without coming out with a kit (that I already have more than enough of). So I try and support the best I can. Sometimes I get lucky on EBAY. Last weekend I sold one of the old Italeri M-110 Blood Sweat and Tears. It sold for $45 and still had the AAFES $8.95 price sticker on it. I turned around and got a couple accessories off of that. So it works out well. Now I gotta go find which Legends set as the rolled and wrapped barbed wire in it.

At one point, I was selling so much accumulated junk/treasures on eBay that I built up over $2K in my PayPal account. It was really hard for me to justify spending "real" money on expensive model kits when I had so much "play" money available. However, too much "playing" on eBay has resulted in some serious depletion of the play money account. But, that's what it's for! I know I could have moved some of that PP cash to my bank account, but then it isn't play money any more.

Our local shop is named "Hobby Hut Models" and they really have a great selection of kits for a relatively small town. They also have radio controlled stuff & HO trains. I do support them as much as I can and recently bought the new Tasca M4A3E8 from them.

Edited by RickC5

Rick,

Not a single one of my LHS would carry anything Tasca.

Now that's sort of sad, IMHO. However, I have been in several shops over the last few years who won't stock Dragon, Bronco or Trumpeter kits because they are Chinese. I suppose those shop owners boycott Walmart too.

Our guy will try to get anything that his customers request, within reason of course. As I mentioned, he carries a great number of kits, and a great selection of brands, even some of the eastern european stuff. I realize Grand Junction is in the middle of nowhere, but Hobby Hut Models is worth the stop if you are ever passing through.

DragonUSA just sent me this:

Greetings!

Dragon Models USA is please to announce that it has been appointed the exclusive distributor for Bronco Models for the United States of America. Bronco Models is a manufacturer based in China that specializes in high quality military subject plastic model kits. Their Armor, Aircraft, Ship and Accessories kits encompass a variety of interesting and unique subjects in a selection of popular scales.

Both of these kits are on the list with a retail that'll be somewhere in the $50 range, so buy it from a local hobby shop owner while you still have a local hobby shop! Otherwise, you'll have to get your paint and glue from eBay, too, and wait to finish the model... perhaps even missing the show you wanted to take it to.

James,

WHen I am ready for these, I'll gladly get you to order one for me!

• 1 month later...

Now a visible Humber with only 3,999 pieces...

http://www.armorama....=thread&order=0

Edited by Mark Aldrich

John,

I can make visible invisble....but 4,000 parts for a wheeled vehicle kit.....kinda extreme.

Edited by Mark Aldrich

I'm finding it very hard to justify buying a new Dragon armor kit when it comes out when I see Sprue Brothers selling Dragon armot kits at half off or more and these are recently released ones too. I might as well waiting a couple of months to see if the new kit will be 50% off at Sprue Brothers. One of my local hobby shops must have connected with the same source as they had a few kits the same price Sprue Brothers is offering.

I'm also finding it hard to buy a new Dragon German armor kit that should have zimmerit, is released without it then 6 months later is released with molded on zimmerit.

I'm finding it very hard to justify buying a new Dragon armor kit when it comes out when I see Sprue Brothers selling Dragon armot kits at half off or more and these are recently released ones too. I might as well waiting a couple of months to see if the new kit will be 50% off at Sprue Brothers. One of my local hobby shops must have connected with the same source as they had a few kits the same price Sprue Brothers is offering.

I'm also finding it hard to buy a new Dragon German armor kit that should have zimmerit, is released without it then 6 months later is released with molded on zimmerit.

Yeah, Sprue Bros have been offering some truly amazing prices lately. Naturally I wonder what going on? Maybe they were able to buy a massive amount of kits at a super discount. Or, maybe the model market isn't what it used to be with our economy being so bad, and they simply decided to dump the kits to clear their shelves. Whatever, we get the benefit.

I personally believe that Dragon's entire Zimmerit initiative is nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell more kits. I'm pretty sure the molds for any kit WITHOUT Zimmerit would be quicker and cheaper to make to get a kit on the market soonest. Then they cast several thousand trees and immediately begin modifying those same molds to add the Zimmerit. Then, PRESTO--here's the same kit with Zimmerit. They wind up selling many more kits, at a minimal increase in engineering/development costs. Actually rather clever of them, but that particular business model irritates the heck out of us modelers who KNOW that a new kit should have been initially released with Zimmerit and then it's released later with it. Grrrrr.

The flip side is that Dragon satisfies both camps: those that like to add their own Zimmerit and those that prefer the molded-on variety. Plus, Dragon really has been doing a superb job on their molded-on Zimmerit. It is quite realistic.

I've been buying less on eBay lately, as I've noticed a tendency for the multitude of Asian sellers to raise their prices substantially while their shipping costs are already sky-high. Now, when I start a search, I use the "preferences" on the left side to look at postings that are "US Only" and "Auction only" to filter out all the non-US and Buy-It-Now sellers that have ALSO raised their prices. By doing this, I'll be buying from another fellow American while getting the additional benefit of a lower price via the auction format. Of course, I don't always win every auction I bid on, but that's what auctions are all about--it's a bit of a gamble/fun!

Edited by RickC5

..but 4,000 parts for a wheeled vehicle kit.....kinda extreme.

I believe they mean it is a limited release kit, with only 3,999 kits being available.

Patrick,

You could be right but when I saw the box art and it said....3,999 PC I took it for "in the kit".

Ed,

I remember how I thought all those POCHER ads were soooooooooooooooo cool!