Best Acrlic O.D.

Pappy

I have been trying to figure out which O.D. in acrilics is the closest to the U.S. when air brushing? It seems that Testors is very gray and Tamiya is to brown. U.S. tanks of WW2 seen to be of a more greener shade. I know PollyS was deleted by Testors. "What a shame" Thanks for your help.

Pappy

Hey Pappy. Try Tamiya Khaki Drab. I have used it on a couple Shermans that I built. If you airbrush, put down a base of 50/50 Khaki Drab and Black. Next spray straight Khaki Drab, kinda of in a cloud pattern in the center of panels leaving the darker base towards the edges. Once that is complete spray 75/25 Khaki Drab/Desert yellow. This you want to spray on your upper surfaces as this will give a faded appearance. All paints are of the Tamiya line. I thin with Mr. Hobby thinner. This works for me. I will try to post some pics or find a link to one of my Shermans. HTH.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mike, I will give it a shot ane see what comes out of my air brush. I have noticed alot of OD is a brown color or gray color. It seems that WW2 tanks especialy Marine Corps. tanks are green. Do you know of any good green OD's?

Thanks for the help :smiley4:

Steve Zaloga has said that Tamiya's XF-62 is the best match, lightened with some XF-60.

But I also saw that XF-62 has changed recently, so I don't know.

Here's the M4 HST where I used the XF-62/60 mix (look at pix at very end, there are lighting variations in the WIP pix) ...

http://www.ipmsusa2.org/reviews2/mil-veh/d...-details_02.htm