Luftwaffe Reference material

TimHortman

Hello all,

I am still sorting through my reference books, and have come to the conclusion that most of my "stuff" is pretty dated. I have various books and series of books on German WWII Luftwaffe items, but I would like your throughs on what stands out as YOUR best reference material on the subject.

Are the new Merrick volumes the best and most accurate books on the market?

How do some of the older books hold up in comparison?

Thanks for your ideas!

Tim

Well Tim, I'll stick my neck out on this. :unsure: I bought William Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich in 1970 there abouts when it first came out. I think it holds up well today in the black and white genre of reference materials.

I have the Monogram/Merrick book on Luftwaffe Colors that I like alot also.

Last reference i bought was the Eagle Paint Chip guide which is pretty better.

I doubt that there will ever be a definitive reference

Thanks Jeff,

I do have both of those here.

I have a few old Karl Ries books that were done in the 60's & 70's.

There is a two volume set that Merrick has done more recently that I have heard good things about, but wanted to get a feel from some others out there who may have them. I've avoided the book sellers for the past several years because I couldn't afford to buy anything new... :smiley2:

I have the Monogram Luftwaffe Camo (3ring binder w/color chips) that gives me more info than I'd ever want to know. However, my understanding is that it is a bit dated now, and true Luftwaffe enthusiasts need the later/greater references (and they'll have to point them out).

As for specific types, for the Bf-109 I'd recommend Lynn Ritger's books. One covers the 109 prototypes-Es, while the other covers the Fs, Gs, and all of the late marks. They cover (seemingly) every rivet, access panel, and joint line for every type, and since Lynn is a modeler (and IPMS member) all of the differences between types are clearly illustrated so you cna build an ultra-correct Bf-109. Most importantly, he includes reviews of all of the 109 kits (at least through printing of the book) and thus you can read the plusses and minuses of each kit and know what you're dealing with!

Many of the older books are pretty good, but BEWARE of color illustrations! Many of those that made the early Luftwaffe books from the late 60's and early 70's so popular (the first books to have such things included) have proven spurious, or at best only close in colors and details. Most of the newer decals released over the last 2-3- years can be relied on for their accuracy (as opposed to book illustrations). The Luftwaffe guys demand accuracy, and their aftermarket decals provide it (or else!)

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil,

I have Lynn's books on my list of things to watch for. I have heard good things about them, but have not had a chance to see them myself.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim,

I don't build much Luftwaffe aircraft (mostly Japanese), but I do remember seeing on Ebay a store called FlLUG-ARCHIV 20 run by airmailbyairmail that had lots of reprodcution Luftwaffe aircraft maintenance manuals, flight manuals, etc for WWII Luftwaffe aircraft. I just checked and the store is still up and running. He might have some reference material that will help you. Also, for Japanese stuff, I like Famous Airplanes of the World Series, and Aero Detail series, bith of which have some Luftwaffe planes.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Hello all,

I am still sorting through my reference books, and have come to the conclusion that most of my "stuff" is pretty dated. I have various books and series of books on German WWII Luftwaffe items, but I would like your throughs on what stands out as YOUR best reference material on the subject.

Are the new Merrick volumes the best and most accurate books on the market?

How do some of the older books hold up in comparison?

Thanks for your ideas!

Tim

Hmm, I have to agree with Gil that the old William Green book still holds up rather well. I have some nice books from AJ Press on the '109, '210/410 and the '190. The older Aero Detail books ahve some nice info as well. The Nowarra book on the '190 and TA 152 is terrific as are BOTH volumes on the Dora that Eagle Editions published. Schiffer has a fine volume on the Legion Condor, German cockpits and their book on all markings and squadrons. Finally, the Squadron/Signal books do ahve some nifty titles (like Strangers in a Strange Land, German Jet fighters of WII). I have heard/read that Mr. Ritger's books are very nice but have yet to own either of them.

Later,

Lee

Tim, I have been following the subject since way back. The old RAF Flying Reviews tried to define colors but were very general. Harleyford Publications were a little better but their expertise was on English aircraft mainly.

The Ries book was the first generally available reference to start to use the official German names and reference numbers. He did not, however, get into the later war colors. The color chart that he published was a great reference for the time.

The three Luftwaffe Camouflage & Markings books from Kookaburra really started to tie down some of the later colors and the loose-leaf Official Monogram Painting Color Chart, in my opinion, does a great job of tying everything together.

There may have been some tweaks since then but this book will provide you the basic info. Beyond that, the list of books that Gil and Lee mentioned will provide more specific details. To me, it is really important to find a photo or photos of the plane that you are building. It may show you some unique effects that the overview books don't cover. In particular, Lynn's books are worth while for 109 builders while the Eagle Edition books help 190 fans.

• 1 month later...